Current:Home > FinanceCongress launches an investigation into the Osprey program after the deadly crash in Japan -Visionary Wealth Guides
Congress launches an investigation into the Osprey program after the deadly crash in Japan
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 18:47:07
WASHINGTON (AP) — A congressional oversight committee has launched an investigation into the V-22 Osprey program following a deadly crash in Japan which killed eight Air Force special operations service members.
The entire Osprey fleet remains grounded following the Nov. 29 crash with the exception of limited Marine Corps flights in emergencies. More than 50 U.S. service members have died in Osprey crashes over the lifespan of the program, and 20 of those died in four crashes over the last 20 months.
The Osprey is a fast-moving airframe that can fly like both a helicopter and an airplane — but its many crashes have led critics to warn it has fatal design flaws.
The government of Japan, the only international partner flying the Osprey, has also grounded its aircraft after the Nov. 29 crash.
On Thursday the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Oversight and Accountability sent a letter to Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin requesting a massive amount of documentation on the Osprey’s safety record to be delivered to the committee by Jan. 4.
“Our servicemembers remain in harm’s way without resolution of known mechanical issues, ” wrote the committee chairman, Kentucky Republican James Comer. “While, statistically, the Osprey is not considered as dangerous as some other military aircraft, the Committee remains alarmed that most fatalities involving the aircraft have happened during training exercises, not combat operations.”
The Osprey only became operational in 2007 after decades of testing. Since then, it’s become a workhorse for the Marine Corps and Air Force Special Operations Command, and was in the process of being adopted by the Navy to replace its C-2 Greyhound propeller planes, which transport personnel on and off aircraft carriers at sea.
Shortly after the Nov. 29 crash, the Air Force said that a malfunction of the aircraft, not a mistake by the crew, was probably the cause.
The Osprey has faced persistent questions about a mechanical problem with the clutch that has troubled the program for more than a decade. There also have been questions as to whether all parts of the Osprey have been manufactured according to safety specifications and, as those parts age, whether they remain strong enough to withstand the significant forces created by the Osprey’s unique structure and dynamics of tiltrotor flight.
Marine Corps Ospreys also have been used to transport White House staff, press and security personnel accompanying the president. White House National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said those Ospreys are also grounded.
veryGood! (68)
Related
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- 'Holding our breath': Philadelphia officials respond to measles outbreak from day care
- Mahomes, Stafford, Flacco: Who are the best QBs in this playoff field? Ranking all 14
- Tupac Shakur murder suspect bail set, can serve house arrest ahead of trial
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Energy drinks like Red Bull, Monster and Rockstar are popular. Which has the most caffeine?
- Lawyers may face discipline for criticizing a judge’s ruling in discrimination case
- UN to vote on a resolution demanding a halt to attacks on vessels in the Red Sea by Yemen’s rebels
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Joey Fatone, AJ McLean promise joint tour will show 'magic of *NSYNC, Backstreet Boys'
Ranking
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Boeing supplier that made Alaska Airline's door plug was warned of defects with other parts, lawsuit claims
- Federal fix for rural hospitals gets few takers so far
- Florida mom of 10 year old who shot, killed neighbor to stand trial for manslaughter
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Armed man fatally shot by police in Baltimore suburb, officials say
- 'Baywatch' star Nicole Eggert reveals breast cancer diagnosis: 'Something I have to beat'
- What 'Good Grief' teaches us about loss beyond death
Recommendation
Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
61-year-old man has been found -- three weeks after his St. Louis nursing home suddenly closed
Adan Canto, known for his versatility in roles in ‘X-Men’ and ‘Designated Survivor,’ dies at 42
Designated Survivor Actor Adan Canto Dead at 42
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Barry Keoghan reveals he battled flesh-eating disease: 'I'm not gonna die, right?'
DeSantis and Haley go head to head: How to watch the fifth Republican presidential debate
Adan Canto, 'Designated Survivor' and 'X-Men' star, dies at 42 after cancer battle