Current:Home > InvestCharles Langston:3 NHL players have been charged with sexual assault in a 2018 case in Canada, their lawyers say -Visionary Wealth Guides
Charles Langston:3 NHL players have been charged with sexual assault in a 2018 case in Canada, their lawyers say
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 15:35:04
NHL players Carter Hart of the Philadelphia Flyers,Charles Langston Michael McLeod of the New Jersey Devils and Dillon Dube of the Calgary Flames have been charged with sexual assault in connection with an investigation into an alleged sexual assault by several members of Canada’s 2018 world junior team.
Attorneys representing Hart, McLeod and Dube said Tuesday that each player has been charged with sexual assault by police in London, Ontario. They denied any wrongdoing on behalf of their clients.
Hart’s lawyers, Megan Savard and Riaz Sayani, said their client is facing one count of sexual assault, adding, “He is innocent and will provide a full response to this false accusation in the proper forum, a court of law.”
Legal teams representing McLeod and Dube said they would be pleading not guilty.
“(We) will vigorously defend the case,” McLeod’s, attorneys David Humphrey and Seth Weinstein, said in a statement. “We ask that the public respect Mr. McLeod’s privacy, and his family’s privacy. Because the matter is now before the court, we will not comment further at this time.”
Dube’s lawyers, Louis Strezos and Kayleigh Davidson said he “maintains his innocence (and) will defend the allegations in court.”
Messages sent to the Flyers, Devils and Flames seeking comment were not immediately returned.
The latest developments come two days after former NHL player Alex Formenton surrendered to police to face charges. Attorney Daniel Brown said Formenton is innocent “and asks that people not rush to judgment without hearing all of the evidence.”
Five players from Canada’s 2018 world junior team — Hart, McLeod, Dube, Formenton, Hart and Cal Foote of the Devils — have taken leaves from their current clubs. Agents for all five players have not spoken publicly since.
London Police have scheduled a news conference for Monday to address the situation. A spokesperson for police told The Associated Press by email no updates on the investigation will be provided before the news conference.
London police launched their investigation in 2022 after it was disclosed that Hockey Canada had settled a lawsuit with a woman who said she was sexually assaulted by eight members of that gold medal-winning team at a gala. London is approximately halfway between Toronto and Detroit.
The NHL opened its own investigation in 2022 and has pledged to make those findings public. Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly last week said the league would issue a statement if and when it is appropriate.
The Flyers said Hart requested and was granted a leave of absence for personal reasons. General manager Daniel Briere declined to provide details when asked follow-up questions related to the 25-year-old No. 1 goaltender’s departure.
“We will respond appropriately when the outcomes of the investigations are made public,” Briere said.
The Devils did not give a reason when announcing McLeod and Foote were granted indefinite leaves of absence. McLeod, who turns 26 on Saturday, is in the middle of his fourth full season with the team.
The Flames said Dube was on indefinite leave to tend to his mental health. The 25-year-old has played in the NHL with Calgary since 2018.
___
AP NHL: https://apnews.com/hub/nhl
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- A meteor streaked across the NYC skyline before disintegrating over New Jersey
- Biden considering proposals to reform Supreme Court
- Naomi Pomeroy, star of Top Chef Masters and award-winning chef, dies in river tubing accident in Oregon
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Billy Ray Cyrus Granted Emergency Motion to Stop Ex Firerose From Using Credit Cards
- New York City councilwoman arrested for allegedly biting officer during protest, police say
- Ex-Philadelphia detective convicted of perjury in coerced murder confession case
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- 'Top Chef Masters' star Naomi Pomeroy dies at 49 in tubing accident
Ranking
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- North Carolina Senate leader Berger names Ulm next chief of staff
- Tinx Convinced Me That Prime Day Should Replace New Year’s Resolutions and She Shares Her Top Deals
- 2 men sentenced in 2021 armed standoff on Massachusetts highway
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- These top stocks could Join Apple, Microsoft, and Nvidia in the $3 Trillion Club
- Eric Trump calls failures that led to attempted assassination of his father infuriating
- Ex-Philadelphia detective convicted of perjury in coerced murder confession case
Recommendation
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
Syrian official who oversaw prisons with widespread allegations of abuse arrested by US officials
Forest fire at New Jersey military base 80% contained after overnight rain
Chelsea Football Club Speaks Out After Player Enzo Fernández Faces Backlash Over Racist Chant Video
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
Nikki Haley endorses Trump in show of unity at RNC
Peter Navarro, ex-Trump trade adviser, released from prison
Supreme Court halts Texas execution of Ruben Gutierrez for murder of 85-year-old woman