Current:Home > MarketsRekubit-Iowa proposes summer grocery boxes as alternative to direct cash payments for low-income families -Visionary Wealth Guides
Rekubit-Iowa proposes summer grocery boxes as alternative to direct cash payments for low-income families
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 21:20:33
DES MOINES,Rekubit Iowa (AP) — Iowa on Thursday proposed an alternative program to address child hunger during next year’s summer break, a plan that the state says can leverage existing community-driven infrastructure and prioritize nutrition, but critics say takes resources and agency away from low-income families.
Iowa and other states opted out of the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s summer EBT program in 2024, which offered $120 per school-aged child to low-income families for grocery purchases over the summer months.
More than 244,000 children were provided the pandemic summer EBT cards in 2023, according to the Iowa Department of Health and Human Services, amounting to over $29 million in federal funds.
Iowa instead devoted $900,000 in competitive grants that led to 61 new sites for other federal nutrition programs that facilitate schools and nonprofit organizations in low-income areas serving summer meals and snacks to kids.
Next year, Iowa wants to again forgo the EBT option and instead offer grocery boxes each of the three summer months. Kelly Garcia, director of the state’s health and human services agency, said the proposal allows Iowa to buy in bulk to stretch program dollars, offset inflation costs for families, choose nutritional foods to fill boxes and increase the number of families that are eligible.
“The complex issues of food insecurity and obesity cannot be solved with cash benefits that don’t actively promote health, nutrition-dense food, or reach all Iowa children in need,” said Kelly Garcia, director of Iowa’s health and human services agency.
But the new approach hasn’t done much to convince critics, especially Democrats, who have long lambasted Reynolds for rejecting such a large sum of money intended to feed Iowa kids. That includes state Sen. Sarah Trone-Garriott, who works with the Des Moines Area Religious Council Food Pantry Network and assisted with their grocery boxes program during the pandemic.
Trone-Garriott said the proposal would require a cumbersome volunteer-based effort that would be less efficient than offering families the funds to use at their local grocery stores, which they go to anyway. The federal program is effective at alleviating the intense need, which she said has shifted this summer to record high demand at local food pantries.
“It’s not as accessible,” she said. “It’s this idea that we can’t trust people who are struggling financially to make good choices.”
Garcia told USDA administrators in a letter Thursday that Iowa did not participate in the 2024 EBT program because of its “operational redundancy with existing programs, high administrative costs for states, and lack of nutritional focus.”
States that participate in the program are required to cover half of the administrative costs, which would have cost an estimated $2.2 million in Iowa, the state said last year.
Officials did not specify Thursday how much the new program would cost, or how much federal funding they expect.
Iowa is proposing that low-income families could pick up their summer grocery boxes, or those with transportation challenges could get them delivered. The state said delivery is a convenience not offered with the existing EBT program but offered no details on how many families would be able to opt in to that option, or how delivery would be facilitated across the state.
veryGood! (33)
Related
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Cinnamon in recalled applesauce pouches may have had 2,000 times the proposed limit of lead
- Top French TV personality faces preliminary charge of rape: What to know
- Cindy Crawford Reacts to Her Little Cameo on The Crown
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Powerball lottery jackpot nearing $600 million: When is the next drawing?
- DC is buzzing about a Senate sex scandal. What it says about the way we discuss gay sex.
- From AI and inflation to Elon Musk and Taylor Swift, the business stories that dominated 2023
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Duane Davis, man charged with Tupac Shakur's killing, requests house arrest, citing health
Ranking
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Will Chick-fil-A open on Sunday? New bill would make it required at New York rest stops.
- China showed greater willingness to influence U.S. midterm elections in 2022, intel assessment says
- What to know about abortion policy across the US heading into 2024
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- A rare and neglected flesh-eating disease finally gets some attention
- Helicopter for Action News 6 crashes in New Jersey; pilot, photographer killed
- News helicopter crashes in New Jersey, killing pilot and photographer, TV station says
Recommendation
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
'Thank you for being my friend': The pure joy that was NBA Hall of Famer Dražen Petrović
93-year-old vet missed Christmas cards. Now he's got more than 600, from strangers nationwide.
Former Alabama correctional officer is sentenced for assaulting restrained inmate and cover-up
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Jeremy Allen White Shares Sizzling Update on The Bear Season 3
Jason Kelce takes blame on penalty for moving ball: 'They've been warning me of that for years'
States are trashing troves of masks and pandemic gear as huge, costly stockpiles linger and expire