Current:Home > NewsAlec Baldwin is indicted in fatal shooting of cinematographer after new gun analysis -Visionary Wealth Guides
Alec Baldwin is indicted in fatal shooting of cinematographer after new gun analysis
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:43:15
SANTA FE, N.M. — A grand jury indicted Alec Baldwin on Friday on an involuntary manslaughter charge in a 2021 fatal shooting during a rehearsal on a movie set in New Mexico, reviving a dormant case against the A-list actor.
Special prosecutors brought the case before a grand jury in Santa Fe this week, months after receiving a new analysis of the gun that was used.
Baldwin, the lead actor and a co-producer on the Western movie "Rust," was pointing a gun at cinematographer Halyna Hutchins during a rehearsal on a movie set outside Santa Fe in October 2021 when the gun went off, killing her and wounding director Joel Souza.
Baldwin has said he pulled back the hammer, but not the trigger, and the gun fired.
Judges recently agreed to put on hold several civil lawsuits seeking compensation from Baldwin and producers of "Rust" after prosecutors said they would present charges to a grand jury. Plaintiffs in those suits include members of the film crew.
Special prosecutors dismissed an involuntary manslaughter charge against Baldwin in April, saying they were informed the gun might have been modified before the shooting and malfunctioned. They later pivoted and began weighing whether to refile a charge against Baldwin after receiving a new analysis of the gun.
The analysis from experts in ballistics and forensic testing relied on replacement parts to reassemble the gun fired by Baldwin, after parts of the pistol were broken during testing by the FBI. The report examined the gun and markings it left on a spent cartridge to conclude that the trigger had to have been pulled or depressed.
The analysis led by Lucien Haag of Forensic Science Services in Arizona stated that although Baldwin repeatedly denied pulling the trigger, "given the tests, findings and observations reported here, the trigger had to be pulled or depressed sufficiently to release the fully cocked or retracted hammer of the evidence revolver."
The weapons supervisor on the movie set, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter and evidence tampering in the case. Her trial is scheduled to begin in February.
"Rust" assistant director and safety coordinator David Halls pleaded no contest to unsafe handling of a firearm last March and received a suspended sentence of six months of probation. He agreed to cooperate in the investigation of the shooting.
An earlier FBI report on the agency's analysis of the gun found that, as is common with firearms of that design, it could go off without pulling the trigger if force was applied to an uncocked hammer, such as by dropping the weapon.
The only way the testers could get it to fire was by striking the gun with a mallet while the hammer was down and resting on the cartridge, or by pulling the trigger while it was fully cocked. The gun eventually broke during testing.
The 2021 shooting resulted in a series of civil lawsuits, including wrongful death claims filed by members of Hutchins' family, centered on accusations that the defendants were lax with safety standards. Baldwin and other defendants have disputed those allegations.
The Rust Movie Productions company has paid a $100,000 fine to state workplace safety regulators after a scathing narrative of failures in violation of standard industry protocols, including testimony that production managers took limited or no action to address two misfires on set before the fatal shooting.
The filming of "Rust" resumed last year in Montana, under an agreement with the cinematographer's widower, Matthew Hutchins, that made him an executive producer.
veryGood! (62)
Related
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- The Journey of Artificial Intelligence at Monarch Capital Institute
- Meet Hunter Woodhall, husband of 2024 Paris Olympics long jump winner Tara Davis-Woodhall
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis continues political attack against Harris VP candidate Tim Walz
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- 2 Astronauts Stuck in Space Indefinitely After 8-Day Mission Goes Awry
- Harvard rebuffs protests and won’t remove Sackler name from two buildings
- Videos and 911 calls from Uvalde school massacre released by officials after legal fight
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Baby gorilla is born at Detroit Zoo, the first in its 96-year history
Ranking
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- USA vs. Australia basketball live updates: Start time, how to watch Olympic semifinal
- Donald Trump’s campaign says its emails were hacked
- Gov. Hochul Ponders a Relaxation of Goals Under New York’s Landmark Climate Law
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Three things that went wrong for US men's 4x100 relay team
- Safe to jump in sprinkle pool? Man who broke ankle sues Museum of Ice Cream in New York
- Disney shows fans ‘Moana 2' footage, reveals ‘Toy Story 5' and ‘Incredibles 3' are also coming
Recommendation
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
If Noah Lyles doesn't run in 4x100m relay, who will compete for Team USA?
Jamaican sprinter gets reallocated Olympic medal from Marion Jones saga, 24 years later
‘Original sin': Torture of 9/11 suspects means even without plea deal, they may never face a verdict
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
The Journey of Artificial Intelligence at Monarch Capital Institute
U.S. wrestler Spencer Lee vents his frustration after taking silver
British police prepared for far-right agitators. They found peaceful anti-racism protesters instead