Current:Home > MyPoinbank Exchange|Australian boy killed by police was in deradicalization program since causing school explosion -Visionary Wealth Guides
Poinbank Exchange|Australian boy killed by police was in deradicalization program since causing school explosion
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 18:06:01
MELBOURNE,Poinbank Exchange Australia (AP) — A 16-year-old boy who was shot dead by police after stabbing a man in the Australian west coast city of Perth had been engaged in a deradicalization program since he detonated a homemade explosive device in a school toilet block two years ago, police said on Tuesday.
The boy had injured a man with a kitchen knife in a hardware store parking lot on Saturday night before police killed him with a single shot. The boy had told associates in a text message: “I am going on the path of jihad tonight for the sake of Allah.”
It was the third high-profile knife crime to shock Australia in recent weeks after two Assyrian Orthodox clerics were injured in a Sydney church and a Sydney shopping mall rampage in which six people were killed and another dozen were wounded.
Western Australia Police Commissioner Col Blanch said the boy killed in Perth had been a voluntary participant of the federally funded Countering Violent Extremism program since 2022 when he caused an explosion at a toilet at the Rossmoyne Senior High School, which he attended. The boy had received treatment for mental health issues as well as extremist inclinations.
“To be in a CVE program automatically says that we have concerns about his behavior and his thinking,” Blanch told Perth Radio 6PR.
“This is really important and it is highly successful but, sadly, it’s not perfect,” Blanch added.
Social media video of the noise and flash of an explosion in a toilet and of boys running from the scene has been published by news media outlets in recent days.
The state education department said no one was injured and no damage was caused by the explosion. All proper protocols were followed with the then 14-year-old student where there were concerns about extremism, a department statement said.
Police investigated the explosion, but the boy wasn’t charged, authorities said.
Police maintained a high-visibility presence around the school on Tuesday to reassure the community after social media warned parents that a student had threatened more violence, Blanch said.
The warning came from a hacked social media account, Blanch said.
He urged the school community to contact police with any concerns rather sharing those concerns through social media.
“Sending messages around and whipping up people’s anxiety at a time of significant stress will not help anyone,” Blanch said.
Western Australia police but had found no links between the Perth boy and an alleged network of teen extremists in the east coast city of Sydney.
The stabbings of a bishop and priest in a Sydney church on April 15 led to a 16-year-old boy being charged with committing a terrorist act.
In the subsequent investigation, six more teenagers were charged with terror-related offenses.
Police alleged all seven were part of a network that “adhered to a religiously motivated, violent extremist ideology.”
Some Muslim leaders have criticized Australian police for declaring the church stabbing a terrorist act but not a rampage two days earlier in a Sydney shopping mall in which six people were killed and a dozen wounded.
The 40-year-old attacker, who was shot dead by police, had a history of schizophrenia and most of the victims he targeted were women. Police have yet to reveal the man’s motive.
Blanch said the quick responses by three police officers in the Perth incident had saved lives.
“We have seen what someone with a knife can do in a populated area,” Blanch said, referring to the Westfield Bondi Junction shopping mall rampage on April 13.
veryGood! (7545)
Related
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Disney World and other Orlando parks to reopen Friday after Hurricane Milton shutdown
- Days of Our Lives Star Drake Hogestyn's Cause of Death Revealed
- Influencer Cecily Bauchmann Apologizes for Flying 4 Kids to Florida During Hurricane Milton
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Dr. Dre sued by former marriage counselor for harassment, homophobic threats: Reports
- In Pacific Northwest, 2 toss-up US House races could determine control of narrowly divided Congress
- NHL tracker: Hurricanes-Lightning game in Tampa postponed due to Hurricane Milton
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Minnesota coach Cheryl Reeve needed Lynx to 'be gritty at the end.' They delivered.
Ranking
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- MoneyGram announces hack: Customer data such as Social Security numbers, bank accounts impacted
- A hurricane scientist logged a final flight as NOAA released his ashes into Milton’s eye
- Florida power outage map: 2.2 million in the dark as Milton enters Atlantic
- Small twin
- Judge blocks Penn State board from voting to remove a trustee who has sought financial records
- Judge blocks Penn State board from voting to remove a trustee who has sought financial records
- Mauricio Umansky Files for Conservatorship Over Father Amid Girlfriend's Alleged Abuse
Recommendation
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
A second ex-Arkansas deputy was sentenced for a 2022 violent arrest
Milton caused heavy damage. But some of Florida's famous beaches may have gotten a pass.
Man mauled to death by 'several dogs' in New York, prompting investigation: Police
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
Saoirse Ronan Details Feeling “Sad” Over Ryan Gosling Getting Fired From Lovely Bones
Why Florence Pugh, Andrew Garfield say filming 'We Live in Time' was 'healing'
Polling Shows Pennsylvania Voters Are Divided on Fracking