Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|Judge rules against Prince Harry in early stage of libel case against Daily Mail publisher -Visionary Wealth Guides
Burley Garcia|Judge rules against Prince Harry in early stage of libel case against Daily Mail publisher
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 18:39:48
LONDON (AP) — Prince Harry lost a preliminary round Friday in his libel case against against the publisher of the Daily Mail tabloid over an article that said he tried to hide his efforts to retain publicly funded protection in the U.K. after giving up his status as a working member of the royal family.
A London judge said the Duke of Sussex failed to knock out Associated Newspaper Ltd.’s defense that its article reflected an honest opinion. A hearing is Burley Garciascheduled Tuesday to discuss the consequences of the ruling.
Justice Matthew Nicklin said in that ruling that “it is not fanciful that the Defendant will be successful, at trial.” He scheduled a hearing Tuesday in the High Court to discuss the consequences of the ruling.
The ruling comes just a day after another judge concluded three days of arguments — mostly behind closed doors — over whether the government unfairly stripped Harry of his security detail after he and his family moved to the U.S. in 2020.
Harry, 39, the younger son of King Charles III, is challenging the government’s decision to provide security to him on a case-by-case basis when he visits Britain. Harry has said hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless news media hounding threatens their safety.
The Mail on Sunday and Mail Online published an article in February 2022 about the issue headlined: “How Prince Harry tried to keep his legal fight with the government over police bodyguards a secret … then — just minutes after the story broke — his PR machine tried to put a positive spin on the dispute.”
Harry claims the article was “fundamentally inaccurate” and the newspaper libeled him when it suggested he lied in his initial public statements about his case challenging the government.
Associated Newspapers argued the article expressed an “honest opinion” and did not seriously harm Harry’s reputation.
Nicklin previously ruled the article was defamatory but had not considered whether the story was accurate or in the public interest.
The government, meanwhile, has defended its decision to withdraw full protection for Harry because he stepped down from his role as a senior working member of the family. It said he was treated fairly and provided with security occasionally when he visits.
Another judge earlier this year shot down Harry’s request to privately reimburse London’s police force to guard him when he comes to town. A government lawyer had argued officers shouldn’t be used as “private bodyguards for the wealthy.”
The dispute with the Mail is one of four lawsuits Harry has pending against publishers of British tabloids in his ongoing battle with the press.
His three other cases allege that journalists at the Mail, the Daily Mirror and the Sun used unlawful means, such as deception, phone hacking or hiring private investigators, to try to dig up dirt about him.
___
Follow the AP’s coverage of Prince Harry at https://apnews.com/hub/prince-harry
veryGood! (13224)
Related
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Condé Nast workers reach labor agreement with publisher, averting Met Gala strike
- Zendaya exudes cottage core vampiress at Met Gala 2024 in vintage gown: See the look
- These Picks From Gymshark's Extra 30% Off Sale Are Worth Their Weight: $14 Tanks, $26 Leggings & More
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Met Gala 2024 best dressed: See Bad Bunny, Zendaya, JLo, more stars blossom in Garden of Time
- Shohei Ohtani homers in third straight game in Los Angeles Dodgers' win over Miami Marlins
- Wisconsin wedding barns sue over state’s new liquor law requiring licensing
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Boeing's Starliner mission was scrubbed Monday. Here's when it will try to launch again.
Ranking
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Tom Holland Shares Photo of Golf Injury While Zendaya Co-Chairs 2024 Met Gala
- 'I did it. I killed her.' Man charged with strangling wife in hospital bed over medical bills
- Bear dragged crash victim's body from car in woods off Massachusetts highway, police say
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Doja Cat Is Essentially Naked in 2024 Met Gala After-Party Look
- Marvel at Brie Larson's Invisible Hoop Skirt Look at 2024 Met Gala
- Yes, quinoa is popular and delicious. But is it actually good for you?
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Paying college athletes appears closer than ever. How could it work and what stands in the way?
Martha Stewart Swears By These 3 Practices to Help Herself Age Backwards
NASA simulation shows what it's like to fly into black hole's point of no return
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Nosebleeds are common but can be a sign of something serious. Here's when to see a doctor.
Why Ed’s Sheeran 2024 Met Gala Look Is Reminding Fans of Zac Efron
Starbucks needs a better in-store experience to retain, gain US customers, Howard Schultz says