Current:Home > NewsLouvre Museum and Versailles Palace evacuated after bomb threats with France on alert -Visionary Wealth Guides
Louvre Museum and Versailles Palace evacuated after bomb threats with France on alert
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 13:40:06
PARIS (AP) — The Louvre Museum in Paris and Versailles Palace evacuated visitors and staff Saturday after receiving bomb threats, police said. The French government started deploying 7,000 troops to increase security around the country after a fatal school stabbing by a suspected Islamic extremist.
The evacuations of two of the world’s most-visited tourist sites come amid heightened vigilance around France following Friday’s school attack, and global tensions linked to the war between Israel and Hamas. President Emmanuel Macron’s government is worried about fallout from the war in France.
Alarms rang out through the Louvre when the evacuation was announced, and in the underground shopping center beneath its signature pyramid. The Louvre communication service said no one was hurt. Paris police said officers searched the museum after it received written bomb threats.
Police cordoned off the monument from all sides, and the underground access, as international tourists and other visitors streamed out. Videos posted online showed people leaving, some hurriedly and some stopping to take photos, others apparently confused about what was happening.
The Louvre, home to masterpieces such as the Mona Lisa, welcomes between 30,000 and 40,000 visitors per day and several million annually.
The former royal palace at Versailles also received bomb threats, and the palace and its sprawling gardens were being evacuated while police examine the area, according to national police. A major Paris train station, Gare de Lyon, was being evacuated after the discovery of a possible bottle explosive, police said.
Earlier Saturday, Macron’s office announced the mobilization of 7,000 soldiers by Monday night, after the government heightened the national threat alert in the wake of the school attack in the northern city of Arras. The “attack emergency” threat posture allows the government to temporarily deploy extra troops to protect public places, among other measures.
Counterterrorism authorities are investigating the Arras stabbing, and the suspected assailant and several others are in custody, prosecutors said. The attacker’s exact motive remains unclear, and he is reportedly refusing to speak to investigators.
The suspect had been under recent surveillance by intelligence services for Islamic radicalization. He was detained Thursday for questioning based on his phone conversations in recent days, but investigators found no sign that he was preparing an attack, Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin said. He said French intelligence suggested a link between the war in the Middle East and the suspect’s decision to act.
Court documents viewed by The Associated Press show the suspect, identified by prosecutors as Mohammed M., is from the Ingushetia region in Russia’s Caucasus Mountains, which neighbors Chechnya.
Some schoolchildren, parents and personnel returned to the Gambetta-Carnot school Saturday, as police stood guard outside. Classes were canceled, but the school reopened for those who wanted to come together or seek support.
Trauma specialists described the importance of addressing the emotions and revisiting the scene soon after horrific events. One mother said she came with her 17-year-old daughter in a show of defiance against extremism, and to overcome the fear of returning to a site where children were locked down for hours after the stabbing.
Another mother came to seek guidance from counselors about how to support her two sons, who witnessed the attack in their schoolyard.
“As adults, we are managing with difficulty to take a step back, but for them, they’re children,″ said Emily Noge, arriving at the school with her sons and partner.
’’It’s always the same moments that come back: The schoolyard, the chairs to protect themselves, the stabbings, the whys. ’Why us? Why Arras? Why the teachers? They were good teachers. They were there to protect us,‴ she said.
For many, the attack echoed the killing of another teacher, Samuel Paty, almost exactly three years ago near his Paris area school. He was beheaded by a radicalized Chechen later killed by police.
All French middle schools and high schools will open later Monday so that staff can talk about the attack, and prepare to reassure students and address what happened, the Education Ministry announced. Each establishment will hold a minute of silence to reflect and honor victims of all attacks targeting schools.
Macron urged the people of France to “stay united.”
___
Schaeffer reported from Arras, France. Associated Press journalists Thomas Padilla in Paris and Nicolas Garriga in Arras, France contributed to this report.
veryGood! (21)
Related
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- What to know about Elijah McClain’s death and the criminal trial of two officers
- Blake Shelton Proves He Doesn't Wanna Love Nobody But Gwen Stefani in Sweet Birthday Tribute
- After judge’s rebuke, Trump returns to court for 3rd day for fraud lawsuit trial
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Male nanny convicted in California of sexually assaulting 16 young boys in his care
- DOJ says Veterans Affairs police officer struck man with baton 45 times at medical center
- Why Dakota Johnson and Chris Martin Have Kept Their Relationship So Private
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Defense attorney claims 'wrong man' on trial in 2022 slayings of New Hampshire couple
Ranking
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- CBS News veteran video editor Mark Ludlow dies at 63 after brief battle with cancer
- Stock market today: Asian shares are sharply lower, tracking a rates-driven tumble on Wall Street
- Google wants to make your email inbox less spammy. Here's how.
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- New Mexico attorney general has charged a police officer in the shooting death of a Black man
- Historic low: Less than 20,000 Tampa Bay Rays fans showed up to the team's first playoff game
- Michael Jordan, now worth $3 billion, ranks among Forbes' richest 400 people
Recommendation
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
Former US military pilot’s lawyer tells Sydney court that extradition hearing should be delayed
Student loan borrowers are facing nightmare customer service issues, prompting outcry from states
New Mexico attorney general has charged a police officer in the shooting death of a Black man
Could your smelly farts help science?
Big Three automakers idle thousands of workers as UAW strike rages on
11-year-old charged with attempted murder in shooting at Pop Warner football practice
There was power loss before plane crash that killed ex-NFL player Russ Francis, investigator says