Current:Home > reviewsRekubit Exchange:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Visionary Wealth Guides
Rekubit Exchange:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 15:35:14
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Rekubit Exchangeagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (962)
Related
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Greta Gerwig Breaks Silence on Oscars Snub for Directing Barbie
- Tyler, the Creator collabs with Pharrell on Louis Vuitton capsule, including 'favorite thing'
- February's full moon is coming Saturday. It might look smaller than usual.
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Dolly Parton spills on Cowboys cheerleader outfit, her iconic look: 'A lot of maintenance'
- Baby seal with neck entangled in plastic rescued in New Jersey amid annual pup migration
- Georgia drivers could refuse to sign traffic tickets and not be arrested under bill
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- White House wades into debate on ‘open’ versus ‘closed’ artificial intelligence systems
Ranking
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Red states that have resisted Medicaid expansion are feeling pressure to give up.
- Governor says carjackers ‘will spend a long time in jail’ as lawmakers advance harsher punishment
- Taylor Swift's 'ick face,' Travis Kelce and when going public causes more harm than good
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Man faces potential deportation after sentencing in $300,000 Home Depot theft scheme, DOJ says
- 15-year-old goes missing while on vacation in Galveston, Texas; Amber Alert issued
- The Best Spring Decor Picks for Your Home Refresh—Affordable Finds from Amazon, H&M Home, and Walmart
Recommendation
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
New Hampshire rejects pardon hearing request in case linked to death penalty repeal
Selena Gomez's Makeup Artist Melissa Murdick Reveals Her Foolproof Secret for Concealing Acne Breakouts
Red states that have resisted Medicaid expansion are feeling pressure to give up.
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
Remains found in remote Colorado mountains 33 years ago identified as man from Indiana
Alice Paul Tapper to publish picture book inspired by medical misdiagnosis
Movie Review: ‘Dune: Part Two’ sustains the dystopian dream of ‘Part One’