Current:Home > InvestCharles Langston:Drake Bell reflects on the aftermath of 'Quiet on Set' revelations: 'An emotional rollercoaster' -Visionary Wealth Guides
Charles Langston:Drake Bell reflects on the aftermath of 'Quiet on Set' revelations: 'An emotional rollercoaster'
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 15:05:34
Drake Bell is Charles Langstonopening up about life after "Quiet on Set."
The former "Drake & Josh" star addressed the Investigation Discovery documentary series "Quiet on Set: The Dark Side of Kids' TV" (streaming on Discovery+ and Max) in an interview with E! News published Tuesday.
"It's an emotional roller coaster," Bell told E! News. "You keep something inside like that for so many years and it's like torture."
But everything changed with the release of the buzzy documentary, which included disturbing details from former child stars of a variety of abuses and toxic behavior they say they experienced on the sets of classic Nickelodeon children's TV shows, from "All That" and "The Amanda Show" to "Drake & Josh" and "Victorious."
"Oh my god, the world knows, and I didn't know how people were going to react," Bell said. "But it's been a lot of support and it's been nice."
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Bell, who starred in Nickelodeon's "The Amanda Show" from 1999 to 2002 and "Drake & Josh" as the titular character from 2004 to 2007, alleged in the third part of the docuseries that, as a minor, he faced "extensive" sexual abuse by Brian Peck, a dialogue coach working with the network at the time.
Peck, who is not related to Bell's Drake & Josh co-star Josh Peck, was arrested in August 2003 and convicted in 2004 on charges of lewd acts with a child that stemmed from a 2001 incident.
Why 'Quiet on Set' documentaryon Nickelodeon scandal exposes the high price of kids TV
Bell had not previously disclosed himself as the plaintiff in that case. However, he did previously appear on an episode of DearMedia's "Not Skinny But Not Fat" podcast in April where he discussed the aftermath of opening up about the sexual abuse he faced from Peck.
The actor also discussed the criticism he received after he was accused of sexual contact and grooming an underage fan. "I'd responded on some DMs and was incredibly irresponsible, and got myself into conversations that I shouldn’t have had, and I ended up finding out that I was talking to someone that I shouldn’t have been talking to, and it snowballed into these allegations that were not true, and it just turned into this big thing," Bell said of the 2021 case.
In the "Quiet on Set" documentary, Bell said he experienced a "slow decline" in his mental health and sobriety, adding that he was "absolutely destroyed" by "misinformation" that was spread about his child endangerment case.
"I started to spin out of control," he said. "If I had continued down that path, that could very likely be the end of my story."
Contributing; Naledi Ushe, Kelly Lawler
veryGood! (198)
Related
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- McCarthy says he supports House resolutions to expunge Trump's impeachments
- American Climate Video: Al Cathey Had Seen Hurricanes, but Nothing Like Michael
- Florida Ballot Measure Could Halt Rooftop Solar, but Do Voters Know That?
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Teen who walked six miles to 8th grade graduation gets college scholarship on the spot
- California Utility Says Clean Energy Will Replace Power From State’s Last Nuclear Plant
- A Judge’s Ruling Ousted Federal Lands Chief. Now Some Want His Decisions Tossed, Too
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- U.S. pedestrian deaths reach a 40-year high
Ranking
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Garland denies whistleblower claim that Justice Department interfered in Hunter Biden probe
- Climate Change is Pushing Giant Ocean Currents Poleward
- A Warming Climate is Implicated in Australian Wildfires
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Sarah, the Duchess of York, undergoes surgery following breast cancer diagnosis
- The world's worst industrial disaster harmed people even before they were born
- Controversial Enbridge Line 3 Oil Pipeline Approved in Minnesota Wild Rice Region
Recommendation
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
Billie Eilish Fires Back at Critics Calling Her a Sellout for Her Evolving Style
Premature Birth Rates Drop in California After Coal and Oil Plants Shut Down
California’s Fast-Track Solar Permits Let the Sun Shine In Faster—and Cheaper
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Supreme Court allows Biden administration to limit immigration arrests, ruling against states
A Warming Climate is Implicated in Australian Wildfires
CDC tracking new COVID variant EU.1.1