Current:Home > NewsCharles Langston:Ex-Rep. Jeffrey Fortenberry charged over illegal foreign donations "scheme" -Visionary Wealth Guides
Charles Langston:Ex-Rep. Jeffrey Fortenberry charged over illegal foreign donations "scheme"
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 21:20:32
Federal prosecutors in Washington,Charles Langston D.C., have filed new charges against former Nebraska Rep. Jeffrey Fortenberry, after an appeals court threw out his criminal conviction in a campaign finance case because the court said he had been tried in the wrong venue.
The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in December tossed out the former Republican congressman's conviction for lying to the FBI about illegal contributions to his reelection campaign because Fortenberry's trial in California "took place in a state where no charged crime was committed." The court reversed the conviction so that he could be retried in a proper venue.
A federal grand jury in Washington, D.C., has now indicted Fortenberry over the same alleged incident, with prosecutors calling it his "scheme" to conceal that he had received illegal foreign and conduit contributions.
Fortenberry, 63, who had served in Congress since 2005, announced his resignation from office two days after his March 2022 conviction.
"The Biden/Garland Justice Department seems intent on dragging Jeff Fortenberry around the country to face one trial after another until it can secure a conviction that actually holds up," said Chad Kolton, spokesperson for Fortenberry. "This case never should have been brought in the first place, and it shouldn't have been pursued again after the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled so decisively in Fortenberry's favor."
Federal campaigns are required to report to the Federal Election Commission the names and addresses of anyone donating over $50, and foreign donations to federal campaigns are illegal.
A California jury in 2022 found Fortenberry guilty of lying to federal authorities about an illegal $30,000 contribution to his campaign by Nigerian billionaire Gilbert Chagoury at a 2016 fundraiser in Los Angeles.
Federal prosecutors reiterated those accusations in the new grand jury indictment, saying Fortenberry was aware of the legal prohibitions, accepted the donation through third parties and did not seek to report and return the donation. Prosecutors also accuse Fortenberry of "knowingly and willfully" concealing information about the "scheme" and making false and misleading statements to federal investigators about it.
It wasn't until after federal investigators interviewed him in July 2019 that Fortenberry gave up the contributions, prosecutors said.
Robert Legare contributed to this report
Kathryn WatsonKathryn Watson is a politics reporter for CBS News Digital based in Washington, D.C.
veryGood! (76)
Related
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Fact checking Trump's remarks after historic conviction in hush money trial
- In historic move, Vermont becomes 1st state to pass law requiring fossil fuel companies to pay for climate change damages
- Fact checking Trump's remarks after historic conviction in hush money trial
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Helicopter crashes in a field in New Hampshire, officials say
- Parade for Israel in NYC focuses on solidarity this year as Gaza war casts a grim shadow
- LGBTQ communities, allies around US taking steps to promote safety at Pride 2024 events
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- 100 years ago, US citizenship for Native Americans came without voting rights in swing states
Ranking
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- University of the Arts abruptly announces June 7 closure, vows to help students transfer
- Tulsa Race Massacre survivors seek justice as search for graves, family roots continue
- New Law to Provide Florida Homebuyers With More Transparency on Flood History
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- UVA to pay $9 million related to shooting that killed 3 football players, wounded 2 students
- How Real Housewives Stars Heather Dubrow and Alexis Bellino’s Transgender Kids Brought Them Closer
- Watch Live: Explosive Iceland volcano eruption shoots lava across roads and sends pollution toward the capital
Recommendation
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
Ohio explosion caused by crew cutting gas line they thought was turned off, investigators say
Police arrest 'thong thief' accused of stealing $14K of Victoria's Secret underwear
How Real Housewives Stars Heather Dubrow and Alexis Bellino’s Transgender Kids Brought Them Closer
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Princess Kate to skip major U.K. military event in London over 2 months after announcing cancer treatment
Olympic gold medalist Katie Ledecky says faith in anti-doping policies at 'all-time low'
Retired Navy admiral arrested in bribery case linked to government contract