Current:Home > ContactAlgosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-Federal prosecutors charge ex-Los Angeles County deputies in sham raid and $37M extortion -Visionary Wealth Guides
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-Federal prosecutors charge ex-Los Angeles County deputies in sham raid and $37M extortion
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 13:57:36
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Two former Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies and Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Centertwo former foreign military officials have been charged with threatening a Chinese national and his family with violence and deportation during a sham raid at his Orange County home five years ago, federal prosecutors said Monday.
The four men also demanded $37 million and the rights to the man’s business, according to the U.S. attorney’s office in Los Angeles. Authorities have not released the businessman’s name.
The men are scheduled to be arraigned Monday afternoon on charges of conspiracy to commit extortion, attempted extortion, conspiracy against rights, and deprivation of rights under color of law.
Prosecutors said the group drove to the victim’s house in Irvine on June 17, 2019, and forced him, his wife and their two children into a room for hours, took their phones, and threatened to deport him unless he complied with their demands. Authorities said the man is a legal permanent resident.
The men slammed the businessman against a wall and choked him, prosecutors said. Fearing for his and his family’s safety, he signed documents relinquishing his multimillion-dollar interest in Jiangsu Sinorgchem Technology Co. Ltd., a China-based company that makes rubber chemicals.
Federal prosecutors said the man’s business partner, a Chinese woman who was not indicted, financed the bogus raid. The two had been embroiled in legal disputes over the company in the United States and China for more than a decade, prosecutors said.
Prosecutors said one of the men charged, Steven Arthur Lankford — who retired from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department in 2020 — searched for information on the victim in a national database using a terminal at the sheriff’s department. They said Lankford, 68, drove the other three men to the victim’s house in an unmarked sheriff’s department vehicle, flashed his badge and identified himself as a police officer.
It was not immediately clear if Lankford has an attorney who can speak on his behalf. The Associated Press left a message Monday at a telephone number listed for Lankford, but he did not respond.
Federal prosecutors also charged Glen Louis Cozart, 63, of Upland, who also used to be a sheriff’s deputy. The AP left a phone message for Cozart, but he didn’t immediately respond.
Lankford was hired by Cozart, who in turn was hired by Max Samuel Bennett Turbett, a 39-year-old U.K. citizen and former member of the British military who also faces charges. Prosecutors said Turbett was hired by the Chinese businesswoman who financed the bogus raid.
Matthew Phillip Hart, 41, an Australian citizen and former member of the Australian military, is also charged in the case.
“It is critical that we hold public officials, including law enforcement officers, to the same standards as the rest of us,” said United States Attorney Martin Estrada. “It is unacceptable and a serious civil rights violation for a sworn police officer to take the law into his own hands and abuse the authority of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.”
If convicted, the four men could each face up to 20 years in federal prison.
veryGood! (14415)
Related
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Kristen Faulkner leads U.S. women team pursuit in quest for gold medal
- Software upgrades for Hyundai, Kia help cut theft rates, new HLDI research finds
- Billy Bean, MLB executive and longtime LGBTQ advocate, dies at 60
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Gymnast MyKayla Skinner Asks Simone Biles to Help End Cyberbullying After Olympic Team Drama
- Algerian boxer Imane Khelif has a shot at Olympic gold after semifinal win
- For Hindu American youth puzzled by their faith, the Hindu Grandma is here to help.
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Where JoJo Siwa Stands With Candace Cameron Bure After Public Feud
Ranking
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Striking video game actors say AI threatens their jobs
- Jennifer Lopez's Latest Career Move Combines the Bridgerton and Emily Henry Universes
- Finally, US figure skaters will get Beijing Olympic gold medals — under Eiffel Tower
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- 4 hotel employees charged with being party to felony murder in connection with Black man’s death
- Simone Biles' husband Jonathan Owens was 'so excited' to pin trade at 2024 Paris Olympics
- How Blake Lively Honored Queen Britney Spears During Red Carpet Date Night With Ryan Reynolds
Recommendation
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
2024 Olympics: Ryan Lochte Reveals Why U.S. Swimmers Can’t Leave the Village During Games
Spain vs. Brazil highlights: Brazil holds off comeback, will play for Olympic gold
Judge dismisses most claims in federal lawsuit filed by Black Texas student punished over hairstyle
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
People with sensitive stomachs avoid eating cherries. Here's why.
Hard Knocks with Bears: Caleb Williams in spotlight, Jonathan Owens supports Simone Biles
Olympic Pole Vaulter Anthony Ammirati Offered $250,000 From Adult Website After