Current:Home > ContactNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Visionary Wealth Guides
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-05 15:07:52
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (492)
Related
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Israel drawn to face Iceland in Euro 2024 playoffs, then would play winner of Bosnia vs. Ukraine
- Salty much? These brain cells decide when tasty becomes blech
- Brazil has recorded its hottest temperature ever, breaking 2005 record
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- On the cusp of global climate talks, UN chief Guterres visits crucial Antarctica
- The 15 Best Black Friday 2023 Tech Deals That Are Too Good to Be True: Bose, Apple & More
- Microsoft hires Sam Altman 3 days after OpenAI fired him as CEO
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Rebels claim to capture more ground in Congo’s east, raising further concerns about election safety
Ranking
- Sam Taylor
- Geno Smith injury updates: Seahawks optimistic on QB's chances to play vs. 49ers
- 'SNL' trio Please Don't Destroy on why 'Foggy Mountain' is the perfect Thanksgiving movie
- No crime in death of 9-year-old girl struck by Tucson school gate, sheriff says
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Travis Kelce after Chiefs' loss to Eagles: 'I'm not playing my best football right now'
- 'It's personal': Chris Paul ejected by old nemesis Scott Foster in return to Phoenix
- An alligator was spotted floating along Texas' Brazos River. Watch the video.
Recommendation
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
Mexico arrests alleged security chief for the ‘Chapitos’ wing of the Sinaloa drug cartel
Train derails, spills chemicals in remote part of eastern Kentucky
Stores open on Black Friday 2023: See hours for Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Home Depot, more
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
2 dead in vehicle explosion at Rainbow Bridge U.S.-Canada border crossing; officials say no sign of terrorism
Former Broncos Super Bowl champion Harald Hasselbach dies at 56
Stock market today: Asian shares are mixed, as Hong Kong retreats on selling of property shares