Current:Home > StocksChainkeen Exchange-A suspect in the 1994 Rwanda genocide goes on trial in Paris after a decadeslong investigation -Visionary Wealth Guides
Chainkeen Exchange-A suspect in the 1994 Rwanda genocide goes on trial in Paris after a decadeslong investigation
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 16:44:02
PARIS (AP) — A Rwandan doctor who has been living in France for decades goes on Chainkeen Exchangetrial Tuesday in Paris over his alleged role in the 1994 genocide in his home country.
Sosthene Munyemana, 68, faces charges of genocide, crimes against humanity and complicity in such crimes. He has denied wrongdoing. If convicted, he faces a life sentence.
The trial comes nearly three decades after the genocide in which more than 800,000 minority Tutsis and moderate Hutus who tried to protect them were killed between April and July 1994.
Munyemana arrived in September 1994 in France, where he has been living and working as a doctor until he recently retired.
He has been investigated for decades. Over 60 witnesses are expected to testify at his trial. Members of the Rwandan community in France first filed a complaint against Munyemana in 1995.
Munyemana was a 38-year-old gynecologist in the district of Burate at the time of the genocide. He is accused of co-signing in April 1994 “a motion of support for the interim government” that supervised the genocide and of participating in a local committee and meetings that organized roundups of Tutsi civilians.
He is also accused of detaining Tutsi civilians “without care, hygiene and food” in the office of the local administration that was “under his authority at the time,” and of relaying “instructions from the authorities to the local militia and residents leading to the roundup of the Tutsis,” among other things.
This is the sixth case related to the Rwandan genocide that is coming to court in Paris. The trial is scheduled to run until Dec. 19.
Many suspected perpetrators left Rwanda during and after the genocide, some settling in Europe. Some never faced justice. On Tuesday, the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda said it had confirmed the death of Aloys Ndimbati, a fugitive indicted by the tribunal.
Ndimbati, the leader of a rural community at the time of the genocide, was accused of organizing and directing massacres of Tutsis. He faced seven counts of genocide, among other crimes. Ndimbati died by around the end of June 1997 in Rwanda, the prosecutor’s office said in a statement: “The exact circumstances of his death have not been determined owing to the confusion and absence of order at the time.”
“While the survivors and victims of Ndimbati’s crimes will not see him prosecuted and punished, this result may help bring some closure in the knowledge that Ndimbati is not at large and he is unable to cause further harm to the Rwandan people,” the statement said.
Only two fugitives indicted by the tribunal remain at large, it said.
In recent years, France has increased efforts to arrest and send to trial genocide suspects.
Last year, Laurent Bucyibaruta was sentenced by a Paris court to 20 years in prison for complicity to commit genocide and crimes against humanity, making him the highest-ranking Rwandan to be convicted in France on such charges. He appealed.
Earlier this year, United Nations judges declared an 88-year-old Rwandan genocide suspect, Félicien Kabuga, unfit to continue standing trial because he has dementia and said they would establish a procedure to hear evidence without the possibility of convicting him. Kabuga was arrested near Paris in May 2020 after years on the run.
The mass killings of Rwanda’s Tutsi population were ignited on April 6, 1994, when a plane carrying then-President Juvénal Habyarimana was shot down and crashed in Kigali, the capital, killing the leader who, like most Rwandans, was a Hutu. Tutsis were blamed for downing the plane, and although they denied it, bands of Hutu extremists began killing them, including children, with support from the army, police and militias.
veryGood! (43872)
Related
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- I'm a Shopping Editor, and This Is What I'm Buying at Amazon's October Prime Day 2023
- What is Hamas? The group that rules the Gaza Strip has fought several rounds of war with Israel
- Misdemeanor charge is dropped against a Iowa state senator arrested during an annual bike ride
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Wisconsin GOP leader silent on impeachment of Supreme Court justice after earlier floating it
- Rich Paul Addresses Adele Marriage Rumors in Rare Comment About Their Romance
- Loved 'Book of Mormon?' Josh Gad, Andrew Rannells are back with hilarious new 'Gutenberg!'
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- NHL predictions: Experts make their Stanley Cup, awards picks for 2023-24 season
Ranking
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Palestinian civilians suffer in Israel-Gaza crossfire as death toll rises
- How Trump’s MAGA movement helped a 29-year-old activist become a millionaire
- Israel strikes downtown Gaza City and mobilizes 300,000 reservists as war enters fourth day
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- 32 things we learned in NFL Week 5: Ravens, Patriots spiral as other teams get right
- Savannah Chrisley Details Taking on Guardianship of Her Siblings at Age 26
- How Trump’s MAGA movement helped a 29-year-old activist become a millionaire
Recommendation
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
Israel strikes downtown Gaza City and mobilizes 300,000 reservists as war enters fourth day
Mexico to send diplomatic note protesting Texas border truck inspections causing major delays
Simone Biles Didn’t Think She’d Compete Again Before Golden Gymnastics Comeback
As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
Death of Atlanta deacon who was electrically shocked during arrest ruled a homicide
Lawyers to deliver closing arguments in trial of 2 police officers charged in Elijah McClain’s death
Video of traffic stop that led to Atlanta deacon’s death will be released, family’s attorney says