Current:Home > NewsSafeX Pro:New Mexico attorney general sues company behind Snapchat alleging child sexual extortion on the site -Visionary Wealth Guides
SafeX Pro:New Mexico attorney general sues company behind Snapchat alleging child sexual extortion on the site
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 22:45:48
AP Technology Writer (AP) — New Mexico’s attorney general has filed a lawsuit against the company behind Snapchat,SafeX Pro alleging that site’s design and policies foster the sharing of child sexual abuse material and facilitate child sexual exploitation.
Attorney General Raúl Torrez filed the lawsuit against Snap Inc. Thursday in state court in Santa Fe. In addition to sexual abuse, the lawsuit claims the company also openly promotes child trafficking, drugs and guns.
Last December, Torrez filed a similar lawsuit against Meta, the parent company of Instagram and Facebook, saying it allows predators to trade child pornography and solicit minors for sex on its platforms. That suit is pending.
Snap’s “harmful design features create an environment where predators can easily target children through sextortion schemes and other forms of sexual abuse,” Torrez said in a statement. Sexual extortion, or sextortion, involves persuading a person to send explicit photos online and then threatening to make the images public unless the victim pays money or engages in sexual favors.
“Snap has misled users into believing that photos and videos sent on their platform will disappear, but predators can permanently capture this content and they have created a virtual yearbook of child sexual images that are traded, sold, and stored indefinitely,” Torres said.
In a statement, Snap said it shares Torrez’s and the public’s concerns about the online safety of young people.
“We understand that online threats continue to evolve and we will continue to work diligently to address these critical issues,” the company based in Santa Monica, California, said. We have invested hundreds of millions of dollars in our trust and safety teams over the past several years, and designed our service to promote online safety by moderating content and enabling direct messaging with close friends and family.”
According to the complaint, minors report having more online sexual interactions on Snapchat than any other platform, and more sex trafficking victims are recruited on Snapchat than on any other platform.
Prior to the lawsuit, New Mexico conducted a monthslong undercover investigation into child sexual abuse images on Snapchat. According to Torrez’s statement, the investigation revealed a “vast network of dark web sites dedicated to sharing stolen, non-consensual sexual images from Snap,” finding more than 10,000 records related to Snap and child sexual abuse material in the last year. This included information related to minors younger than 13 being sexually assaulted.
As part of the undercover investigation, the New Mexico department of justice set up a decoy Snapchat account for a 14-year-old named Heather, who found and exchanged messages with accounts with names like “child.rape” and “pedo_lover10.”
Snapchat, the lawsuit alleges, “was by far the largest source of images and videos among the dark web sites investigated.” Investigators also found Snapchat accounts that openly circulated and sold child abuse images directly on the platform.
veryGood! (6836)
Related
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Slipknot's ex-drummer Jay Weinberg hints at firing, says he's 'heartbroken and blindsided'
- Israel loses to Kosovo in Euro 2024 qualifying game
- Britney Spears reveals her 'girl crush' on 'unbelievable' Taylor Swift with throwback pics
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Cantrell hit with ethics charges over first-class flight upgrades
- US military says 5 crew members died when an aircraft crashed over the Mediterranean
- Does shaving make hair thicker? Experts weigh in on the common misconception.
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Former Ghana striker Raphael Dwamena dies after collapsing during Albanian Super League soccer game
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Germany’s support for Ukraine is to be ‘massively expanded’ next year
- 5 lessons young athletes can still learn from the legendary John Wooden
- Conservative Spanish politician shot in the face in Madrid, gunman flees on motorbike
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Germany’s support for Ukraine is to be ‘massively expanded’ next year
- What the Global South could teach rich countries about health care — if they'd listen
- The UAW won big in the auto strike — but what does it mean for the rest of us?
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Drought and mismanagement have left a French island parched. That holds lessons for the mainland
Part of Interstate 10 near downtown Los Angeles closed indefinitely until repairs made; motorists urged to take public transport
At least 2 million poor kids in the U.S. have lost Medicaid coverage since April
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
Israel agrees to daily 4-hour humanitarian pauses in northern Gaza fighting
Dozens of migrants are missing after a boat capsized off Yemen, officials say
Deion Sanders apologizes after Colorado loses to Arizona: 'We just can't get over that hump'