Current:Home > InvestMcDonald’s franchisee agrees to pay $4.4M after manager sexually assaulted teen -Visionary Wealth Guides
McDonald’s franchisee agrees to pay $4.4M after manager sexually assaulted teen
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 06:42:15
A franchisee of fast food giant McDonald’s has agreed to pay a teenage girl $4.4 million to settle her lawsuit over having been sexually assaulted by a Pittsburgh-area restaurant manager who was a registered sex offender, the victim’s lawyers announced on Monday.
The deal between the girl, who was 14 at the time of the 2021 sexual assault, and McDonald’s franchisee Rice Enterprises LLC, compensates her for the attack by Walter A. Garner in the restaurant bathroom.
At the time, Garner, now 44, had served prison time and was listed on the Megan’s Law website for sexually assaulting a 10-year-old girl.
Garner pleaded guilty in 2021 to statutory sexual assault, indecent assault and other charges for the McDonald’s assault and is serving a state prison sentence. A message seeking comment was left Monday for the public defenders who represented him in that case and in the 2003 case that was resolved with a guilty plea to aggravated indecent assault and other charges.
The lawsuit helped prompt an October 2021 strike by workers in 12 U.S. cities, an effort to get the company to better address what they described as an ongoing problem of sexual harassment and violence in McDonald’s stores.
Through a McDonald’s spokesperson, Rice Enterprises said it fired Garner as soon as they learned of the allegations against him in 2021.
“Since then, we’ve redoubled our efforts to ensure a positive and respectful experience for all employees in our restaurants, and our organization maintains a zero-tolerance policy for harassment of any kind,” Rice Enterprises said in the emailed statement. The company said it puts new hires through “safe and respectful workplace training” and has enhanced security.
The employee was 14 when she began working at a McDonald’s in Bethel Park in October 2020. She said she had no training on sexual harassment or how to report it. Garner made sexual comments to her and touched her inappropriately before the bathroom sexual assault in mid-February 2021, according to the lawsuit.
Garner was arrested in April 2021 after another McDonald’s employee told administrators at her school about his behavior and police were called, the lawsuit said.
Lawyer Alan Perer, who represents the girl and her parents in the Allegheny County civil litigation, said he questions how a sex offender was hired to manage girls of high school age.
“For a company to allow a known sex offender to have access to and control over young teens turns America’s best first job into a nightmare for those teens,” Perer said in a release.
McDonald’s USA called the girl’s assault deeply troubling, issuing a statement that said violence and sexual harassment are completely unacceptable. The company said it is committed to providing franchisees with training resources to help prevent harassment.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Willie Nelson expected back on road for Outlaw Music Festival concert tour
- After 32 years as a progressive voice for LGBTQ Jews, Rabbi Sharon Kleinbaum heads into retirement
- Lionel Messi highlights 2024 MLS All-Star Game roster. Here's everything you need to know
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Sophia Bush, Cynthia Erivo and More Show Amber Ruffin Love After She Comes Out During Pride Month
- BET says ‘audio malfunction’ caused heavy censorship of Usher’s speech at the 2024 BET Awards
- Former Missouri prison guards plead not guilty to murder in death of Black man
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Campus carry weapons law debuts in West Virginia, joins 11 other states
Ranking
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Maine man who confessed to killing parents, 2 others will enter pleas to settle case, lawyer says
- Stingray that got pregnant despite no male companion has died, aquarium says
- 'Now or never': Bruce Bochy's Texas Rangers in danger zone for World Series defense
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Usher honored with BET Lifetime Achievement Award: 'Is it too early for me to receive it?'
- Chinese woman facing charge of trying to smuggle turtles across Vermont lake to Canada
- 2024 French election begins, with far-right parties expected to make major gains in parliament
Recommendation
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
Oklahoma, Texas officially join SEC: The goals are the same but the league name has changed
Blake Lively Shares Peek Into Her Italian Vacation—And the Friends She Made Along the Way
No. 3 seed Aryna Sabalenka withdraws from Wimbledon with shoulder injury
Small twin
'Inside Out 2' becomes first movie of 2024 to cross $1B mark
'Inside Out 2' becomes first movie of 2024 to cross $1B mark
Nelly Korda withdraws from London tournament after being bitten by a dog