Current:Home > StocksCBS News says Trump campaign had ‘shifting explanations’ for why he snubbed ’60 Minutes’ -Visionary Wealth Guides
CBS News says Trump campaign had ‘shifting explanations’ for why he snubbed ’60 Minutes’
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 18:03:31
NEW YORK (AP) — CBS News said the Trump campaign offered “shifting explanations” for why it backed out of a “60 Minutes” interview special with presidential candidates that aired without him.
The network’s Scott Pelley appeared on the air Monday night to explain why Republican Donald Trump did not appear on what has become a “60 Minutes” tradition: back-to-back interviews with presidential candidates in the last month of the campaign.
Harris was on the show, interviewed by Bill Whitaker. Where Trump was supposed to appear, “60 Minutes” instead aired a story about an Arizona official pushing false claims about election fraud.
Pelley said that the Trump campaign “complained that we would fact-check the interview. We fact-check every story.”
The Trump team also demanded an apology for his interview during the 2020 campaign, where he claimed that correspondent Lesley Stahl said a laptop computer belonging to President Joe Biden’s son Hunter came from Russia. “She never said that,” Pelley said.
Pelley said that Trump’s team had agreed to an interview at the former president’s Mar-a-Lago home, with an additional talk in Butler, Pennsylvania, where he returned to the scene of a July assassination attempt.
Trump spokesman Steven Cheung said “60 Minutes” “begged for an interview.” The campaign did have concerns about the show’s reporting on Hunter Biden and how it insisted upon editing Trump’s comments, he said.
“There was nothing scheduled or agreed upon,” Cheung said. ”We had already long promised an exclusive in filming at Butler to another national outlet, which turned out the be Fox News.”
Trump’s interview with Fox’s Laura Ingraham aired an hour before “60 Minutes” on Monday night. His absence from CBS was not mentioned in their exchange. Trump apparently, watched, however, posting on Truth Social that the Harris interview “is considered by many of those who reviewed it, the WORST interview they have ever seen.”
Pelley poked at Trump, noting he had already turned down another opportunity to debate Harris, along with the “60 Minutes” interview, “which may have been the largest audience for the candidates between now and election day.”
Moving “60 Minutes” out of its traditional Sunday time slot may have depressed the audience size, however. An estimated 5.4 million people watched on Monday, according to preliminary Nielsen company figures, compared with the 9.6 million who saw the newsmagazine on Sunday, Sept. 29.
No estimate for Trump’s audience on Ingraham’s show was immediately available. Her show averaged 2.7 million viewers a night last week, Nielsen said.
___
David Bauder writes about media for the AP. Follow him at http://x.com/dbauder.
veryGood! (39961)
Related
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Nightengale's Notebook: What happened at MLB GM meetings ... besides everyone getting sick
- King Charles III leads a national memorial service honoring those who died serving the UK
- No. 3 Duke basketball loses to Caleb Love, No. 11 Arizona in top-15 showdown
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Shohei Ohtani is MLB's best free agent ever. Will MVP superstar get $500 million?
- Travis Kelce spotted with Taylor Swift in Argentina during Chiefs bye week
- Heinz says ketchup can be a good energy source for runners. What do experts say?
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Hollywood agent's son arrested on suspicion of murder after torso found in dumpster
Ranking
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Missile fire from Lebanon wounds a utility work crew in northern Israel as the front heats up
- GOP hopeful Chris Christie visits Israel, says the US must show solidarity in war against Hamas
- Main Gaza hospital goes dark during intense fighting; Netanyahu says no ceasefire possible until all hostages released
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Worried about AI hijacking your voice for a deepfake? This tool could help
- She mapped out weddings in 3 states, crashed them, stole thousands in cash and is free again
- Winston Watkins Jr., five-star recruit for 2025, decommits from Deion Sanders, Colorado
Recommendation
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Stock market today: Asian shares are mostly lower in quiet trading ahead of Biden-Xi meeting
Must-Have Items That Will Make It Look Like A Professional Organized Your Closet
College football Week 11 grades: Michigan misses mark crying over Jim Harbaugh suspension
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
For news organizations, the flood of Gaza war video is proving both illuminating and troubling
Amtrak service north of NYC disrupted by structural issues with parking garage over tracks
Alabama football clinches SEC West, spot in SEC championship game with win vs. Kentucky