Current:Home > reviewsIsrael releases head of Gaza's Al-Shifa hospital after 7-month detention without charge -Visionary Wealth Guides
Israel releases head of Gaza's Al-Shifa hospital after 7-month detention without charge
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-07 00:31:33
Israel released the director of Gaza's main hospital on Monday after holding him for seven months without charge or trial over allegations the facility had been used as a Hamas command center. He said he and other detainees were held under harsh conditions and tortured.
The decision to release Mohammed Abu Selmia, apparently taken in order to free up space in overcrowded detention centers, sparked uproar from across the political spectrum, with government ministers and opposition leaders saying he should have remained behind bars.
They reiterated allegations that he had played a role in Hamas' alleged use of Al-Shifa Hospital, which Israeli forces have raided twice since the start of the nearly nine-month war with Hamas. Abu Selmia and other health officials have repeatedly denied those accusations, and the fact that he was released without charge or trial was likely to raise further questions about them.
Abu Selmia was released back into Gaza along with 54 other Palestinian detainees, many of whom also alleged abuse. The allegations could not be independently confirmed but matched other accounts of Palestinians who have been held in Israeli custody.
"Our detainees have been subjected to all kinds of torture behind bars," Abu Selmia said at a news conference after his release. "There was almost daily torture."
He said guards broke his finger and caused his head to bleed during beatings, in which he said they used batons and dogs. He said the medical staff at different facilities where he was held had also taken part in the abuse "in violation of all laws."
Abu Selmia said some detainees had limbs amputated because of poor medical care.
There was no immediate response from the prison service, which has previously denied similar accusations.
Israeli forces raided Al-Shifa Hospital in November, alleging that Hamas had created an elaborate command and control center inside the facility. Abu Selmia and other staff denied the allegations and accused Israel of recklessly endangering thousands of patients and displaced people who were sheltering there.
The military uncovered a tunnel beneath Al-Shifa Hospital leading to a few rooms, as well as other evidence that militants had been present inside the medical center, but the evidence shown to CBS News and other outlets fell short of what it had claimed before the raid.
Abu Selmia was detained on Nov. 22 while escorting a U.N.-led evacuation of patients from the hospital. He said his detention was "politically motivated," adding that he had been brought to court at least three times but was never charged or allowed to meet with lawyers.
Israel has since raided several other Gaza hospitals on similar allegations, forcing them to shut down or dramatically reduce services even as tens of thousands have been wounded in Israeli strikes or sickened in the harsh conditions of the war. The army raided Al-Shifa a second time earlier this year, causing heavy destruction after saying that militants had regrouped there.
Hospitals can lose their protection under international law if combatants use them for military purposes.
The decision to release Abu Selmia drew harsh condemnations from government ministers and opposition leaders, as the various state organs responsible for detentions scrambled to shift blame. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, under intense pressure over his handling of the war, called it "a serious mistake and a moral failure" and ordered an investigation into the release.
Itamar Ben Gvir, Israel's far-right national security minister who controls the country's police and prison service, said the release of Abu Selmia and the others constituted "security negligence" and blamed the Defense Ministry. Opposition leader Yair Lapid said Abu Selmia's release was another sign of the government's "lawlessness and dysfunction."
Gallant's office released a brief statement saying the incarceration and release of prisoners is the responsibility of the prison service and the Shin Bet internal security agency. The prison service said the decision was made by the Shin Bet and the army, and released a document ordering his release that was signed by an army reserve general.
The Shin Bet said the government had decided — against its advice — to release detainees who were determined to be less of a threat in order to free up space.
"Though the Shifa Hospital Chief passed the risk assessment compared to other detainees — the matter will be internally reviewed," it said.
Since the start of the war, Israeli forces have detained thousands of Palestinians from Gaza and the occupied West Bank, crowding military detention facilities and prisons. Many are being held without charge or trial in what is known as administrative detention.
Israel launched its offensive after Hamas' Oct. 7 attack, in which Palestinian militants killed some 1,200 civilians and took another 250 hostage. The war has killed at least 37,900 Palestinians, according to Gaza's Health Ministry, which does not say how many were civilians or fighters.
Most of Gaza's population of 2.3 million have fled their homes, with many displaced multiple times. Israeli restrictions, ongoing fighting and the breakdown of public order have hindered the delivery of humanitarian aid, fueling widespread hunger and sparking fears of famine.
- In:
- Palestine
- War
- Hamas
- Israel
- Palestinians
- Gaza Strip
veryGood! (217)
Related
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Justice Department defends Boeing plea deal against criticism by 737 Max crash victims’ families
- Kim Kardashian Says Her Four Kids Try to Set Her Up With Specific Types of Men
- 'Rust' movie director Joel Souza breaks silence on Alec Baldwin shooting: 'It’s bizarre'
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- 'Alien: Romulus' movie review: Familiar sci-fi squirms get a sheen of freshness
- State, local officials failed 12-year-old Pennsylvania girl who died after abuse, lawsuits say
- PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Thursday August 15, 2024
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- 2025 COLA estimate dips with inflation, but high daily expenses still burn seniors
Ranking
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Austin Dillon loses automatic playoff berth for actions in crash-filled NASCAR win
- Social media celebrates Chick-Fil-A's Banana Pudding Milkshake: 'Can I go get in line now?'
- Get 10 free boneless wings with your order at Buffalo Wild Wings: How to get the deal
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- The wife of Republican Wisconsin US Senate candidate Hovde takes aim at female Democratic incumbent
- As Baltimore’s Sewer System Buckles Under Extreme Weather, City Refuses to Help Residents With Cleanup Efforts
- As students return, US colleges brace for a resurgence in activism against the war in Gaza
Recommendation
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Collin Gosselin claims he was discharged from Marines due to institutionalization by mom Kate
51 Must-Try Stress Relief & Self-Care Products for National Relaxation Day (& National Wellness Month)
Kaley Cuoco and Tom Pelphrey announce engagement with new photos
Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
The State Fair of Texas is banning firearms, drawing threats of legal action from Republican AG
Meta kills off misinformation tracking tool CrowdTangle despite pleas from researchers, journalists
Anchorage police shoot, kill teenage girl who had knife; 6th police shooting in 3 months