Current:Home > FinanceFastexy Exchange|Judge rules Alex Jones can’t use bankruptcy protection to avoid paying Sandy Hook families -Visionary Wealth Guides
Fastexy Exchange|Judge rules Alex Jones can’t use bankruptcy protection to avoid paying Sandy Hook families
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 19:46:25
HOUSTON (AP) — A Texas judge has ruled that Infowars host Alex Jones cannot use bankruptcy protection to avoid paying more than $1.1 billion to families who sued over his conspiracy theories that the Sandy Hook school massacre was a hoax.
The Fastexy Exchangedecision is another significant defeat for Jones in the wake of juries in Texas and Connecticut punishing him over spreading falsehoods about the nation’s deadliest school shooting. U.S. District Judge Christopher Lopez of Houston issued the ruling Thursday.
Jones filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection last year and more recent financial documents submitted by his attorneys put his personal net worth around $14 million. But Lopez ruled that those protections do not apply over findings of “willful and malicious” conduct.
“The families are pleased with the Court’s ruling that Jones’s malicious conduct will find no safe harbor in the bankruptcy court,” said Christopher Mattei, a Connecticut lawyer for the families. “As a result, Jones will continue to be accountable for his actions into the future regardless of his claimed bankruptcy.”
An attorney for Jones did not immediately return a message seeking comment Friday.
After 26 people were killed by a gunman at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, in 2012, Jones made a false conspiracy theory a centerpiece of his programing on his flagship Infowars show. He told his audience last year he was “officially out of money” and has asked them to shop on his Infowars website to help keep him on the air.
But Jones’ personal spending topped $93,000 in July alone, including thousands of dollars on meals and entertainment, according to his monthly financial reports in the bankruptcy case. The spending stuck a nerve with Sandy Hook families as they have yet to collect any of the money that juries awarded them.
Sandy Hook families won nearly the $1.5 billion in judgments against Jones last year in lawsuits over repeated promotion of a false theory that the school shooting that ever happened.
The amount of money Jones owes Sandy Hook families could grow even larger. Another lawsuit is pending in Texas, brought by the parents of 6-year-old Noah Pozner, one of the children slain in the attack. A trial date has not yet been set.
Relatives of the victims testified at the trials about being harassed and threatened by Jones’ believers, who sent threats and even confronted the grieving families in person, accusing them of being “crisis actors” whose children never existed.
veryGood! (96121)
Related
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- 2 brothers attacked by mountain lion in California 'driven by nature', family says
- Cleveland Cavaliers unveil renderings for state-of-the-art riverfront training center
- Suspect used racial slur before fatally stabbing Walmart employee, 18, in the back, police say
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Judge issues gag order barring Donald Trump from commenting on witnesses, others in hush money case
- Hold Tight to These Twilight Cast Reunion Photos, Spider Monkey
- Diddy investigated for sex trafficking: A timeline of allegations and the rapper's life, career
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Joey King Reveals the Best Part of Married Life With Steven Piet
Ranking
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- How to watch surprise 5th episode of 'Quiet on Set' featuring Drake Bell and other stars
- Kentucky House passes bill to have more teens tried in adult courts for gun offenses
- Sinking Coastal Lands Will Exacerbate the Flooding from Sea Level Rise in 24 US Cities, New Research Shows
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Convicted sex offender who hacked jumbotron at the Jacksonville Jaguars’ stadium gets 220 years
- Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore collapses after being struck by cargo ship; 6 people still missing
- Travelers through Maine’s biggest airport can now fly to the moon. Or, at least, a chunk of it
Recommendation
Sam Taylor
Kristen Doute's Nipple-Pinching Drama on The Valley Explained
In a dark year after a deadly rampage, how a church gave Nashville's Covenant School hope
Mega Millions winning numbers for enormous $1.1 billion jackpot in March 26 drawing
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
Case against woman accused in death of adopted young son in Arizona dismissed, but could be refiled
One month out, New Orleans Jazz Fest begins preparations for 2024 event
Boston to pay $4.6M to settle wrongful death suit stemming from police killing of mentally ill man