Current:Home > MarketsDisney World and Universal closures halt Orlando tourism as Milton approaches -Visionary Wealth Guides
Disney World and Universal closures halt Orlando tourism as Milton approaches
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-07 02:58:16
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Tourism in Orlando rapidly came to a standstill Wednesday with the main airport and at least three theme parks and other businesses set to shut down, leaving Florida residents and visitors fleeing Hurricane Milton to hunker down in area hotels.
Milton, which is expected to come ashore late Wednesday or early Thursday as a major storm, threatened to ruin the vacations of tens of thousands of tourists who came to Orlando to visit the likes of Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando and SeaWorld, or partake in October festivities like Universal’s Halloween Horror Nights. Disney and Universal were due to close Wednesday afternoon while SeaWorld did not open at all. All are expected to remain closed on Thursday.
Orlando International Airport, the nation’s seventh busiest and Florida’s most trafficked, ceased operations Wednesday morning.
The closures tempered expectations for some tourists while the impending storm raised some anxiety in others.
Linda and Bob Shaffer from northeast Pennsylvania said they had stocked up on pizza, peanut butter, drinks, flashlights and a deck of cards at their rental condo. They decided to walk around the resort’s entertainment in the hours before they planned to hole up during the hurricane.
“We’re just killing time until we have to stare at each other for the next 24 hours,” Linda Shaffer said.
Meanwhile, the soggy weather didn’t faze Serena Hedrick or her 16-year-old son, Corey, as they headed into Universal Studios on Wednesday. Corey had been worried about what could happen during their first hurricane but was comforted by the promise from their hotel of nonstop movies, kids’ activities and food.
“It is what it is,” Serena Hedrick said.
The Osborne family traveled from Memphis two days early so they could have almost two days at the theme parks before Milton hit. Alexander Osborne said other relatives decided not to join because of the storm, but he wasn’t worried about experiencing his first hurricane.
“It’s not dangerous to be here now, and I want to spend time and enjoy what we can because we are going to be in our hotel rooms for the next few days, he said.
While theme park visitors squeezed in a few more hours Wednesday, workers in a parking garage at Universal Orlando hugged each other goodbye and wished each other good luck in the hours before Milton was supposed to make landfall.
The Orlando area is the most visited destination in the United States due to Disney World, Universal and other attractions, drawing 74 million tourists last year alone.
Halloween-related celebrations have also made October one of the busiest and most lucrative times for theme parks.
While Disney rarely shuts its doors, its hotels are often havens for coastal residents fleeing storms. A check of Disney World’s online reservation system on Tuesday showed no vacancies.
___
Follow Mike Schneider on the social platform X: @MikeSchneiderAP.
veryGood! (156)
Related
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Czech government survives no-confidence vote in Parliament sought by populist ex-prime minister
- Former US officials ask Pakistan not to deport Afghans seeking relocation to the United States
- Former San Diego detective, 3 women sentenced to prison for operating sex parlors
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Florida police officer charged with sexual battery and false imprisonment of tourist
- Jussie Smollett Gets Rehab Treatment Amid Appeal in Fake Hate Crime Case
- Search continues for inmate who escaped from Houston courthouse amid brawl in courtroom
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Mexican court employees call 5-day strike to protest proposed funding cuts
Ranking
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Biden tells Israel, You're not alone; says military data show Gaza militants to blame for hospital explosion
- Suzanne Somers' family celebrates 'Three's Company' star's birthday 2 days after death
- Marine killed in homicide at Camp Lejeune; second Marine held for suspected involvement
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- 2 children die in an early morning fire at a Middle Tennessee home
- Nokia plans to cut up to 14,000 jobs after sales and profits plunge in a weak market
- Dancing With the Stars’ Sharna Burgess Shares the “Only Reason” She Didn’t Get a Boob Job
Recommendation
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
John Legend says he wants to keep his family protected with updated COVID vaccine
US eases oil, gas and gold sanctions on Venezuela after electoral roadmap signed
Alex Rodriguez Shares Hot Take on Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce's Romance
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Threads ban on search terms like COVID is temporary, head of Instagram says
American Federation of Teachers partners with AI identification platform, GPTZero
Golfer breaks world record for most 18-hole courses played in one year