Current:Home > ContactTikTok ban: Justice Department, ByteDance ask appeals court to fast-track decision -Visionary Wealth Guides
TikTok ban: Justice Department, ByteDance ask appeals court to fast-track decision
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 14:48:49
The U.S. Justice Department and TikTok on Friday asked a U.S. appeals court to set a fast-track schedule to consider the legal challenges to a new law requiring China-based ByteDance to divest TikTok's U.S. assets by Jan. 19 or face a ban.
TikTok, ByteDance and a group of TikTok content creators joined with the Justice Department in asking the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia to rule by Dec. 6 to be able to seek review from the Supreme Court if needed before the U.S. deadline.
On Tuesday, a group of TikTok creators filed suit to block the law that could ban the app used by 170 million Americans, saying it has had "a profound effect on American life."
Last week, TikTok and parent company ByteDance filed a similar lawsuit, arguing that the law violates the U.S. Constitution on a number of grounds including running afoul of First Amendment free speech protections.
"In light of the large number of users of the TikTok platform, the public at large has a significant interest in the prompt disposition of this matter," the U.S. Justice Department and TikTok petitioners said.
TikTok said with a fast-track schedule it believes the legal challenge can be resolved without it needing to request emergency preliminary injunctive relief.
The law, signed by President Joe Biden on April 24, gives ByteDance until Jan. 19 to sell TikTok or face a ban. The White House says it wants to see Chinese-based ownership ended on national security grounds, but not a ban on TikTok.
The parties asked the court to set the case for oral arguments as soon as practical during the September case calendar. The Justice Department said it may file classified material to support the national security justifications in secret with the court.
Earlier this week the Justice Department said the TikTok law "addresses critical national security concerns in a manner that is consistent with the First Amendment and other constitutional limitations."
The law prohibits app stores like Apple and Alphabet's Google from offering TikTok and bars internet hosting services from supporting TikTok unless ByteDance divests TikTok.
Driven by worries among U.S. lawmakers that China could access data on Americans or spy on them with the app, the measure was passed overwhelmingly in Congress just weeks after being introduced.
veryGood! (793)
Related
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Covering child care costs for daycare workers could fix Nebraska’s provider shortage, senator says
- Scammers hacked doctors prescription accounts to get bonanza of illegal pills, prosecutors say
- Hawaii officials identify the last of the 100 known victims of the wildfire that destroyed Lahaina
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- A Texas chef once relied on food pantries. Now she's written a cookbook for others who do
- 'Heartless crime': Bronze Jackie Robinson statue cut down, stolen from youth baseball field
- Kansas governor vetoes tax cuts she says would favor ‘super wealthy’
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Luka Doncic lights up Hawks for 73 points, tied for fourth-most in one game in NBA history
Ranking
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Martin Scorsese Shares How Daughter Francesca Got Him to Star in Their Viral TikToks
- Why Fans Think Megan Thee Stallion’s New Song Reignited Feud With Nicki Minaj
- Teen Mom’s Kailyn Lowry Shares Her Twins Spent Weeks in NICU After Premature Birth
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Ake keeps alive Man City treble trophy defense after beating Tottenham in the FA Cup
- Sydney Sweeney explains infamous 'Euphoria' hot tub scene: 'Disgusting'
- Parents are charged with manslaughter after a 3-year-old fatally shoots his toddler brother
Recommendation
Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
Relapse. Overdose. Saving lives: How a Detroit addict and mom of 3 is finding her purpose
Microsoft Teams outage blocks access and limits features for some users
Iowa promised $75 million for school safety. Two shootings later, the money is largely unspent
Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
Why Jesse Eisenberg Was Shaking in Kieran Culkin’s Arms on Sundance Red Carpet
A Texas chef once relied on food pantries. Now she's written a cookbook for others who do
Dominican judge orders conditional release of rapper Tekashi 6ix9ine in domestic violence case