Current:Home > ScamsFinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Deputy police chief in Illinois indicted on bankruptcy charges as town finances roil -Visionary Wealth Guides
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Deputy police chief in Illinois indicted on bankruptcy charges as town finances roil
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 15:19:19
A federal grand jury has indicted an Illinois police official on FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Centercharges of bankruptcy fraud and perjury.
Deputy Chief Lewis Lacey of the Dolton Police Department faces nine counts including bankruptcy fraud, making false statements and declarations in a bankruptcy case and perjury. Each charge carries a maximum of five years in prison.
Lacey, 61, underreported his income, hid bank accounts and, "made several materially false and fraudulent representations" in multiple bankruptcy cases filed since the 1980s, federal prosecutors say in a news release.
Prosecutors also allege that Lacey lied about being separated from his wife and that she did not live with him or contribute to the household financially. The allegations stem from Lacey's time as an officer before he became deputy chief.
Lacey is the second Dolton village official to face bankruptcy fraud charges as Keith Freeman, a senior administrator for the suburb about 20 miles south of Chicago, was indicted in April.
Lacey's arraignment date has not been set and he has maintained his innocence through is lawyer.
Federal charges come as suburb roils in financial crisis
The indictment comes as the Dolton Village Board is investigating the city's finances.
The investigation, led by former Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot, found multiple instances of a small group of police officers receiving large amounts of overtime. Lacey received over $215,000 in overtime pay from 2022 to June of this year. The investigation also found that the city had not had an annual report or audit since 2021.
Lacey, who was Dolton's acting police chief, was placed on administrative leave then fired last week, according to Chicago NBC affiliate WMAQ-TV.
Lacey's lawyer, Gal Pissetzky, told Chicago ABC affiliate WLS that the charges are an attempt to get at Dolton Mayor Tiffany Henyard, who is the target of a federal investigation.
"The government and some people in Dolton have it out for the mayor. And so they decided to go and try to get to the mayor through other people that served under her," Pissetzky told the station.
The investigation found that Dolton is over $3.5 million dollars in debt and that credit cards for the city had been used to make unexplained purchases and fund travel under Henyard's watch. The credit card spending includes over $40,000 in purchases made on Jan. 5, 2023.
Lightfoot said that Henyard did not cooperate with the investigation in a presentation of the investigation's findings, according to WMAQ.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Horoscopes Today, September 6, 2024
- 'Wrong from start to finish': PlayStation pulling Concord game 2 weeks after launch
- Dye in Doritos used in experiment that, like a 'magic trick,' created see-through mice
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- House case: It's not men vs. women, it's the NCAA vs. the free market
- Why Dennis Quaid Has No Regrets About His Marriage to Meg Ryan
- Canadian para surfer Victoria Feige fights to get her sport included in 2028 Los Angeles Paralympics
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Beyoncé and Jay-Z Put in Their Love on Top in Rare Birthday Vacation Photos
Ranking
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Get 50% Off BareMinerals 16-Hour Powder Foundation & More Sephora Deals on Anastasia Beverly Hills
- Selena Gomez is now billionaire with $1.3 billion net worth from Rare Beauty success
- Ben Affleck Flashes Huge Smile in Los Angeles Same Day Jennifer Lopez Attends Red Carpet in Toronto
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Parents sue Boy Scouts of America for $10M after jet ski accident kills 10-year-old boy
- Workers take their quest to ban smoking in Atlantic City casinos to a higher court
- Police say they arrested a woman after her 6-year-old son brought a gun to school in Memphis
Recommendation
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
Hunter Woodhall wins Paralympic gold, celebrates with Olympic gold medalist wife
Parents sue Boy Scouts of America for $10M after jet ski accident kills 10-year-old boy
Judge delays Donald Trump’s sentencing in hush money case until after November election
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Man charged with plotting shooting at a New York Jewish center on anniversary of Oct. 7 Hamas attack
Dolphins All-Pro CB Jalen Ramsey gets 3-year extension worth $24.1 million per year, AP source says
Stassi Schroeder Shares 3-Year-Old Daughter's Heartbreaking Reaction to Her Self-Harm Scars