Current:Home > FinanceSafeX Pro Exchange|Venezuela pit mine collapse reportedly leaves dozens of people buried in mud -Visionary Wealth Guides
SafeX Pro Exchange|Venezuela pit mine collapse reportedly leaves dozens of people buried in mud
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 22:39:56
The SafeX Pro Exchangewall of an open pit mine in central Venezuela collapsed on Tuesday, reportedly leaving dozens of workers trapped under mud and sparking a frantic rescue effort. Venezuelan newspaper El Nacional cited Edgar Colina Reyes, the government security secretary for Bolivar, the nearest city to the mine in the town of La Paragua, as confirming the accident, but his office had provided no further detail as of Tuesday evening.
CNN's Spanish language service quoted local mayor Yorgi Arciniega as saying at least 30 people were killed in the collapse, with about 100 more buried, but there was no immediate confirmation of that toll from national officials. The AFP news agency quoted Reyes as saying there were only two confirmed deaths and two injuries, but he noted that officials were still "evaluating the damage and doing a rescue analysis."
The newspaper, and regional outlet Correo del Caroni, said Reyes was heading for the Bulla Loca mine Wednesday morning to assess the situation.
The newspapers both quoted a local journalist as saying the mine wall that collapsed was approximately 115 feet tall. Photos posted to social media from the scene showed a large, open pit of clay-colored mud, with workers and others racing to help people injured or trapped by the apparent landslide.
Iron ore, gold, bauxite and other minerals are extracted from mines across the Venezuelan state of Bolivar, including many unsanctioned sites.
The last major accident in the region, according to Correo del Caroni, was only a couple months ago in the Gran Sabana district. At least 12 people were reportedly killed in that incident, which came only a month after a previous accident at the same mine that did not result in any deaths, according to the newspaper.
Local journalist Fritz Sanchez was sharing images and information from the Bulla Loca mine on his social media accounts Tuesday.
"What we were warned of this past December has happened today," he said in one post. "They tell me of a collapse in the Bulla Local mine, which has left more than 100 people buried."
He indicated the pit may have been an illegal gold mining operation, but there was no information immediately available from Venezuelan authorities to confirm the nature of the site or the number of people trapped or injured.
Human rights groups have previously voiced serious concern over the number of children working in Venezuela's open gold mines.
- In:
- Venezuela
- Rescue
- Gold Mining
- Landslide
- Mine Accident
Tucker Reals is cbsnews.com's foreign editor, based in the CBS News London bureau. He has worked for CBS News since 2006, prior to which he worked for The Associated Press in Washington D.C. and London.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Tensions running high at New England campuses over protests around Israel-Hamas war
- What is the average cost of a Thanksgiving meal? We break it down.
- Taylor Swift nabs another album of the year Grammy nomination for 'Midnights,' 6 total nods
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- David and Victoria Beckham and how to (maybe) tell if your partner is in love with you
- Brazilian Influencer Luana Andrade Dead at 29 After Liposuction Surgery
- 'Half American' explores how Black WWII servicemen were treated better abroad
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Tensions running high at New England campuses over protests around Israel-Hamas war
Ranking
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Korean Singer Nahee Dead at 24
- What Britney Spears' book taught me about resilience and self love
- Are you a homeowner who has run into problems on a COVID mortgage forbearance?
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- World War I-era munitions found in D.C. park — and the Army says there may be more
- John Bailey, who presided over the film academy during the initial #MeToo reckoning, dies at 81
- 2024 NFL draft first-round order: Bears, via Panthers, currently have No. 1 pick
Recommendation
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Yellen says her talks with Chinese finance chief laid groundwork for Biden’s meeting with Xi
Lululemon Gifts Under $50 That Are So Cute You'll Want to Grab Two of Them
Michigan awaits a judge’s ruling on whether Jim Harbaugh can coach the team against Penn State
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Durham District Attorney Deberry’s entry shakes up Democratic primary race for attorney general
What makes Mongolia the world's most 'socially connected' place? Maybe it's #yurtlife
Kentucky under state of emergency as dozens of wildfires spread amid drought conditions