Current:Home > MarketsJapan criticizes Russian ban on its seafood following the release of treated radioactive water -Visionary Wealth Guides
Japan criticizes Russian ban on its seafood following the release of treated radioactive water
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 15:55:44
TOKYO (AP) — Japan criticized Russia’s announcement that it’s joining China in banning the imports of Japanese seafood in response to the release of treated radioactive wastewater from the wrecked Fukushima nuclear power plant.
Russia said it will start implementing import restrictions on Japanese seafood on Monday, nearly two months after the tsunami-wrecked Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant started releasing treated and diluted radioactive wastewater into the ocean.
The wastewater discharges, which are expected to continue for decades, have been strongly opposed by fishing groups and neighboring countries including South Korea, where hundreds of people have protested. China immediately banned all imports of Japanese seafood the day the release began in August, badly hurting Japanese seafood producers and exporters.
The Japanese Foreign Ministry said its senior officials notified the Russian Embassy in Tokyo that Japan has been providing transparent and scientific explanations about safety of the treated water release from the Fukushima plant and Japanese seafood. The ministry also said the Japanese side “sincerely and politely” responded to Russia’s abrupt request for a dialogue last week on the issue by submitting documents.
The ministry called Moscow’s restrictions “unjust” and said they go counter to the global move toward easing or lifting of import restrictions on Japanese food.
“The decision by the Russian side is extremely regrettable, and we strongly demand its withdrawal,” the ministry said. “Japan continues to seek actions based on science.”
The plant’s first wastewater release began Aug. 24 and ended Sept. 11. During that release, TEPCO said it discharged 7,800 tons of treated water from 10 tanks. In the second discharge that began Oct. 5, TEPCO plans to release another 7,800 tons of treated water into the Pacific Ocean over 17 days.
The International Atomic Energy Agency has reviewed the safety of the wastewater release and concluded that if carried out as planned, it would have a negligible impact on the environment, marine life and human health.
A team of IAEA experts from China, South Korea and Canada is set to conduct sampling of seawater and marine life at and near the plant this week.
Japan’s government has set up a relief fund to help find new markets and reduce the impact of China’s seafood ban. Measures also include the temporary purchase, freezing and storage of seafood and promotion of seafood sales at home.
TEPCO and the government say discharging the water into the sea is unavoidable because the tanks will reach capacity early next year and space at the plant will be needed for its decommissioning, which is expected to take decades.
They say the water is treated to reduce radioactive materials to safe levels, and then is diluted with seawater by hundreds of times to make it much safer than international standards.
veryGood! (5445)
Related
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Don’t understand your 401(k)? You’re not alone, survey shows.
- After FBI raid, defiant Oakland mayor says she did nothing wrong and will not resign
- Bankruptcy trustee discloses plan to shut down Alex Jones’ Infowars and liquidate assets
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Zach Edey draft profile, scouting report: How will Purdue big man translate to NBA?
- CDK Global: Restoration underway after auto dealer software supplier hacked
- Former NYPD officer pleads guilty in 2021 shooting that injured girlfriend, killed second woman
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Gigi Hadid Gifted Taylor Swift Custom Cat Ring With Nod to Travis Kelce
Ranking
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- 16-year-old track phenom Quincy Wilson doesn't qualify in 400m for Olympics
- Don’t understand your 401(k)? You’re not alone, survey shows.
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean' actor, lifeguard Tamayo Perry dies from apparent shark attack
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Can’t Sleep? These Amazon Pajamas Are Comfy, Lightweight, and Just What You Need for Summer Nights
- Crazy Town lead singer, 'Celebrity Rehab' star Shifty Shellshock dies at 49
- Magic Johnson: Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese 'remind me a lot of Larry Bird and me'
Recommendation
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Fire at South Korea battery factory kills more than 20 workers in Hwaseong city, near Seoul
Powerball winning numbers for June 24 drawing; jackpot rises to $84 million
What Euro 2024 games are today? England, France, Netherlands vie for group wins
Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
Alec Baldwin’s attorneys ask New Mexico judge to dismiss the case against him over firearm evidence
Detroit plans to rein in solar power on vacant lots throughout the city
1 body found, another man rescued by bystander in possible drowning incident on California river