Current:Home > StocksPredictIQ-Jonathan Majors faces sentencing for assault conviction that derailed Marvel star’s career -Visionary Wealth Guides
PredictIQ-Jonathan Majors faces sentencing for assault conviction that derailed Marvel star’s career
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 16:59:27
NEW YORK (AP) — Actor Jonathan Majors is PredictIQscheduled to be sentenced Monday in a New York court for assaulting his former girlfriend, a conviction that has already derailed the once-rising star’s career.
The actor could be sentenced to a year in prison but could also just receive probation after a Manhattan jury in December found him guilty of misdemeanor assault.
Lawyers for Majors and Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg declined to say ahead of the hearing what punishment they’ll seek from a judge.
Following the guilty verdict, Majors was immediately dropped by Marvel Studios, which had cast him as Kang the Conqueror, a role envisioned as the main villain in the entertainment empire’s movies and television shows for years to come.
The conviction stems from an altercation in March 2023 in which Majors’ then-girlfriend Grace Jabbari accused him of attacking her in the backseat of a chauffeured car, saying he hit her head with his open hand, twisted her arm behind her back and squeezed her middle finger until it fractured.
Majors claimed the 31-year-old British dancer was the aggressor, flying into a jealous rage after reading a text message from another woman on his phone. He maintained he was only trying to regain his phone and escape Jabbari safely.
The jury ultimately convicted him of one assault charge and a harassment violation, though acquitted him on a different assault charge and of aggravated harassment.
Majors was originally slated to be sentenced in February, but his lawyers sought to dismiss the conviction. A Manhattan judge denied the motion last week.
Majors had hoped his two-week criminal trial would vindicate him and restore his status in Hollywood.
In a television interview shortly after his conviction, he said he deserves a second chance.
“As he eagerly anticipates closing this chapter, he looks forward to redirecting his time and energy fully toward his family and his art,” Majors’ lawyers said in a statement last week after losing their bid to have the conviction tossed out.
But the 34-year-old California native and Yale University graduate still faces other legal hurdles. Last month, Jabbari filed a civil suit in Manhattan federal court, accusing the actor of assault, battery, defamation and inflicting emotional distress.
She claims Majors subjected her to escalating incidents of physical and verbal abuse during their relationship, which lasted from 2021 to 2023.
Majors’ lawyers have declined to respond to the claims, saying only that they’re preparing to file counterclaims against Jabbari.
The actor had his breakthrough role in 2019’s “The Last Black Man in San Francisco.” He also starred in the HBO horror series “Lovecraft Country,” which earned him an Emmy nomination, and as the nemesis to fictional boxing champ Adonis Creed in the blockbuster “Creed III.”
As for Marvel, a looming question remains whether the studio will recast the role of Kang or pivot in a new direction.
Majors’ departure was among a recent series of high-profile setbacks for the vaunted superhero factory, which has earned an unprecedented $30 billion worldwide from 33 films.
___
Follow Philip Marcelo at twitter.com/philmarcelo
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- K-Pop singer Park Boram dead at 30, according to reports
- Trump’s history-making hush money trial starts Monday with jury selection
- Horoscopes Today, April 14, 2024
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- How much money will Caitlin Clark make as a rookie in the WNBA?
- French president Emmanuel Macron confident Olympics' opening ceremony will be secure
- LIV Golf Masters: Results, scores leaderboard for LIV tour as DeChambeau finishes top 10
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword, Smack Dab in the Middle
Ranking
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Taylor Swift’s Coachella Look Reveals Sweet Nod to Travis Kelce
- Dawn Staley rides in Rolls-Royce Dawn for South Carolina's 'uncommon' victory parade
- Maine police officer arrested after accusation of lying about missing person: Reports
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Inside Houston's successful strategy to reduce homelessness
- Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce dance to Bleachers, Ice Spice at Coachella
- A Second Real Housewives of Potomac Star Is Leaving After Season 8
Recommendation
Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
Bald eagle eats 2 of its hatchlings in West Virginia out of 'confusion', officials say
A Highway in Indiana Could One Day Charge Your EV While You’re Driving It
Fashion isn’t just for the eyes: Upcoming Met Gala exhibit aims to be a multi-sensory experience
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, PTA Meeting
NBA play-in game tournament features big stars. See the matchups, schedule and TV
Masters 2024 highlights: Scottie Scheffler wins green jacket for the second time