Current:Home > ScamsCalifornia regulators vote to extend Diablo Canyon nuclear plant operations through 2030 -Visionary Wealth Guides
California regulators vote to extend Diablo Canyon nuclear plant operations through 2030
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 23:29:25
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. (AP) — California energy regulators voted Thursday to allow the Diablo Canyon nuclear plant to operate for an additional five years, despite calls from environmental groups to shut it down.
The California Public Utilities Commission agreed to extend the shutdown date for the state’s last functioning nuclear power facility through 2030 instead of closing it in 2025 as previously agreed.
Separately, the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission will consider whether to extend the plant’s operating licenses.
The twin reactors, located midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco, began operating in the mid-1980s. They supply up to 9% of the state’s electricity on any given day.
The Public Utilities Commission’s decision marks the latest development in a long fight over the operation and safety of the plant, which sits on a bluff above the Pacific Ocean.
In August, a state judge rejected a lawsuit filed by Friends of the Earth that sought to block Pacific Gas & Electric, which operates the plant, from seeking to extend its operating life.
And in October, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission rejected a request from environmental groups to immediately shut down one of two reactors.
PG&E agreed in 2016 to shutter the plant by 2025, but at the direction of the state changed course and now intends to seek a longer operating run for the plant, which doesn’t produce greenhouse gases that can contribute to climate change.
Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom, who once was a leading voice to close the plant, said last year that Diablo Canyon’s power is needed beyond 2025 to ward off possible blackouts as California transitions to solar and other renewable energy sources.
Activists condemned the extension and noted that the projected costs of continuing to run the aging plant are expected to top $6 billion.
“This ill-conceived decision will further escalate financial strain on California ratepayers and extend the threat of a catastrophe at Diablo Canyon,” said Ken Cook, president of the nonprofit Environmental Working Group.
“With California’s annual renewable energy additions exceeding Diablo Canyon’s output, there is zero reason to keep it running,” he added in a statement.
veryGood! (36494)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Norwegian police investigate claim by Ingebrigtsen brothers that their father and coach was violent
- Trump's New York civil and criminal cases collide with Michael Cohen on the stand
- Apple announces price increase for Apple TV+ and other Apple subscription services
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Apple announces price increase for Apple TV+ and other Apple subscription services
- Buyer be scared: Patrick Stewart sold haunted Los Angeles home without revealing ghosts
- Matthew McConaughey and wife Camila introduce new Pantalones organic tequila brand
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Surprised bear attacks security guard inside kitchen of luxury resort in Aspen
Ranking
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- How 3D-printed artificial reefs will bolster biodiversity in coastal regions
- U.S. sees spike in antisemitic incidents since beginning of Israel-Hamas war, Anti-Defamation League says
- FDA gathering information on woman who allegedly died after drinking Panera Bread lemonade
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- At least 16 dead after gunman opens fire at bowling alley in Lewiston, Maine: Live updates
- Why the Diamondbacks were locks for the World Series as soon as they beat the Brewers
- New organic rules announced by USDA tighten restrictions on livestock and poultry producers
Recommendation
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Up to a foot of snow blankets areas of Helena, Montana in 1st storm of season: See photos
Hurricane Otis causes damage, triggers landslides after making landfall in Mexico as Category 5 storm
Maine shooting suspect was 'behaving erratically' during summer: Defense official
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
NY natural history museum changing how it looks after thousands of human remains in collection
Meet Your New Sole-mate: This Spinning Shoe Rack Is Giving Us Cher Horowitz Vibes
White House dinner for Australia offers comfort food, instrumental tunes in nod to Israel-Hamas war