Current:Home > InvestJohnathan Walker:Albania’s opposition speaks up at the Constitutional Court against ratifying migrant deal with Italy -Visionary Wealth Guides
Johnathan Walker:Albania’s opposition speaks up at the Constitutional Court against ratifying migrant deal with Italy
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 17:16:17
TIRANA,Johnathan Walker Albania (AP) — The opposition in Albania on Wednesday spoke up at the Constitutional Court against the ratification of a contentious deal the government has signed with Italy to jointly process some asylum applications of migrants arriving in Italy by sea.
Last month, Albanian Prime Minister Edi Rama and Italian counterpart Giorgia Meloni announced a five-year deal in which Albania agreed to temporarily shelter up to 3,000 migrants per month — up to 36,000 migrants a year — while Rome fast-tracks their requests for asylum in Italy.
Rama considers the deal as a gesture of reciprocation to Italy, which in 1991 welcomed thousands of Albanians fleeing poverty after the fall of communism.
The Albanian government’s draft law will be debated Dec. 21 and voted on in the 140-seat parliament, where Rama’s governing Socialists have 74 seats.
In a letter to the court, the opposition said it wants parliament to suspend the ratification, asserting that it runs counter to the constitution and international law.
Migrants’ isolation at camps in Albania denies them “any right the Albanian Constitution has for individuals,” the letter said.
Albania has offered two facilities including the port of Shengjin, a tourist spot about 75 kilometers (46 miles) south of the capital, Tirana. Those who will be deported will be sent to a seven-hectare (17 acres) camp in Gjader near the Shengjin port at a former military airport, according to Defense Minister Niko Peleshi.
Italy will pay for the construction of the two centers, which would be under Italian jurisdiction, while Albania would provide their external security.
Meloni has said she expects the centers to become operational next spring.
Interior Minister Taulant Balla said Albania would temporarily shelter up to 3,000 migrants while Italy processes their asylum requests. The backlog of asylum applications in Italy currently stands at 82,000.
The deal has been criticized by rights organizations and other groups, along with Italy’s left-wing opposition parties.
Italy has sought more solidarity from fellow European Union nations to help it handle the increasing number of arrivals. By mid-October, the number of migrants arriving in Italy by boat had nearly doubled to 140,000 compared to the same period a year ago.
___
Follow Llazar Semini at https://twitter.com/lsemini
___
Follow AP’s global migration coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/migration
veryGood! (5223)
Related
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- It Ends With Us’ Justin Baldoni Hires Crisis PR Manager Amid Feud Rumors
- Idaho farmer goes viral after trading in his F-250 for a Cybertruck: 'It’s really fast'
- 'AGT' returns with death-defying stunts that earn Sofía Vergara's Golden Buzzer
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- ‘No concrete leads’ in search for escaped inmate convicted of murder, North Carolina sheriff says
- Alabama corrections chief discusses prison construction, staffing numbers
- Death Valley’s scorching heat kills second man this summer
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Vikings QB McCarthy needs surgery on meniscus tear in right knee, a big setback in rookie’s progress
Ranking
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Elon Musk's estranged daughter takes to X rival Threads to call him a liar, adulterer
- Houston’s former mayor is the Democrats’ nominee to succeed the late US Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee
- Are sweet potatoes healthy? This colorful veggie packs in these health benefits.
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Tropical Storm Ernesto batters northeast Caribbean and aims at Puerto Rico as it strengthens
- Utility will pay $20 million to avoid prosecution in Ohio bribery scheme
- I-94 closed along stretch of northwestern Indiana after crew strikes gas main
Recommendation
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Deputy police chief in Illinois indicted on bankruptcy charges as town finances roil
Alabama corrections chief discusses prison construction, staffing numbers
Jurors to hear opening statements in trial of ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas reporter
Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
I-94 closed along stretch of northwestern Indiana after crew strikes gas main
Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran Wax Figures Revealed and Fans Weren't Ready For It
You Have 1 Day Left to Shop Lands' End's Huge Summer Sale: $10 Dresses, $14 Totes & More Up to 85% Off