Current:Home > ScamsVince McMahon criticizes 'Mr. McMahon' Netflix docuseries, calls it 'deceptive' -Visionary Wealth Guides
Vince McMahon criticizes 'Mr. McMahon' Netflix docuseries, calls it 'deceptive'
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-07 06:52:27
Former WWE CEO Vince McMahon slammed the upcoming Netflix docuseries "Mr. McMahon," calling it a "misleading" and "deceptive" depiction of him.
The founder of WWE said in a statement on Monday he didn't regret participating in the Netflix documentary set to be released this week. The six-part series chronicles McMahon's rise to power and the controversies that surrounded him. A trailer for the series hints at the lawsuit brought on by a former WWE employee that accuses McMahon of abuse, sexual assault and human trafficking.
McMahon said the producers had the chance "to tell an objective story about my life and the incredible business I built, which were equally filled with excitement, drama, fun, and a fair amount of controversy and life lessons."
"Unfortunately, based on an early partial cut I’ve seen, this doc falls short and takes the predictable path of conflating the "Mr. McMahon" character with my true self, Vince. The title and promos alone make that evident," he said. "A lot has been misrepresented or left out entirely in an effort to leave viewers intentionally confused. The producers use typical editing tricks with out of context footage and dated soundbites etc. to distort the viewers’ perception and support a deceptive narrative.
"In an attempt to further their misleading account, the producers use a lawsuit based on an affair I ended as evidence that I am, in fact, 'Mr. McMahon.' I hope the viewer will keep an open mind and remember that there are two sides to every story.”
According to Netflix, the series "delves into the mogul's controversial reign" during WWE, which ended this year when he resigned as executive chairman and board member of TKO Group Holdings, the parent company of WWE. His resignation came just after former WWE employee Janel Grant said she was put through sexual acts by McMahon that were done with "extreme cruelty and degradation." Grant alleged McMahon made her sign a non-disclosure agreement about their relationship for an agreed amount of $3 million, but she didn't receive full payment from McMahon and wants to void the agreement with the lawsuit. Currently, the the U.S. Department of Justice is conducting its own investigation into McMahon.
Attorney responds to Vince McMahon statement
Grant was not interviewed for the docuseries, her lawyers said last week. After McMahon released his statement, Ann Callis, an attorney for Grant, told TODAY Sports in a statement that calling "his horrific and criminal behavior 'an affair' is delusional and nothing more than a sad attempt to save his shredded reputation."
"Vince McMahon physically and emotionally abused, sexually assaulted and human trafficked Janel Grant for more than two years," Callis said. "Although Ms. Grant has not seen the “Mr. McMahon” docuseries, we hope it shines a bright light on his abhorrent and criminal actions by accurately portraying the realities of his abusive and exploitative behavior.
“Ms. Grant will no longer be silenced by McMahon. Her story, though deeply troubling and exceptionally painful, is one that can help other abuse survivors find their voices. We seek to hold McMahon, John Laurinaitis and WWE accountable and to give Ms. Grant her day in court," Callis added.
"Mr. McMahon" will be available to stream on Wednesday.
veryGood! (74679)
Related
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Zachery Ty Bryan pleads guilty to felony assault in domestic violence case 3 months after similar arrest
- Hasbro announces Monopoly Knockout, a new edition of the Monopoly board game
- Pink reflects on near-fatal drug overdose in her teens: 'I was off the rails'
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Police in Illinois fatally shoot sledgehammer-wielding man after reported domestic assault
- 2 Minnesota men accidentally shot by inexperienced hunters in separate incidents
- Stock market today: World shares slide after Wall St rout driven by high yields, mixed earnings
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Jeff Landry lays out his plans for the transition into the Louisiana governor’s position
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- DeSantis administration moves to disband Pro-Palestinian student groups at colleges
- European Union to press the leaders of Serbia and Kosovo to set decades of enmity behind them
- Enrique Iglesias Shares Rare Insight on Family Life With Anna Kournikova and Their 3 Kids
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Israel-Hamas war could threaten already fragile economies in Egypt, Lebanon and Jordan
- Vermont police find 2 bodies off rural road as they investigate disappearance of 2 Massachusetts men
- NFL trade deadline targets: 23 players who could be on block
Recommendation
DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
Paris museum says it will fix skin tone of Dwayne The Rock Johnson's wax figure
The problem with canceling Jon Stewart: Apple bowed to Chinese government censorship
At least 24 killed, including at least 12 police officers, in attacks in Mexico
Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
Trump's New York civil and criminal cases collide with Michael Cohen on the stand
Emancipation Director Antoine Fuqua Mourns Death of Cedric Beastie Jones
Kansas court system down nearly 2 weeks in ‘security incident’ that has hallmarks of ransomware