Current:Home > ContactSignalHub-Carlos Alcaraz fights back to beat Jannik Sinner in China Open final -Visionary Wealth Guides
SignalHub-Carlos Alcaraz fights back to beat Jannik Sinner in China Open final
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-07 02:04:16
BEIJING — Carlos Alcaraz rallied from a set down and SignalHubheld his nerve in a deciding tiebreak to beat defending champion Jannik Sinner 6-7(6) 6-4 7-6(3) in the China Open final on Wednesday and win his fourth title of the season.
French Open and Wimbledon champion Alcaraz, who won both of his previous meetings with Sinner this year, recovered from a slow start to wrap up victory in three hours, 21 minutes and improve his head-to-head record with the Italian to 6-4.
While the stage might not have been as grand as it was in some of their recent encounters, Sinner and Alcaraz pushed each other to the limit in the latest chapter of the burgeoning rivalry that has taken the ATP Tour by storm.
"He could have won in two, I could have won in two, it was a really close match. Jannik once again showed that he's the best player in the world, with the level that he's playing," Alcaraz, 21, said.
"It is unbelievable, it's a really high quality of tennis, physically, mentally, he's a beast.
"I had my chances in the first set but didn't make it, but in general I'm proud of myself. The way that I dealt with the match, the way that I managed everything. For me, it was a really good match."
After both players defended break points in a cagey start, Alcaraz seized the early break for a 3-1 lead when Sinner's backhand went wide, before consolidating the advantage in the next as his Italian opponent netted a shot.
World No. 1 Sinner, whose last win over Alcaraz came in the semifinals of this tournament last year, gradually found his range to level at 5-5 and save two set points in the tiebreak to clinch the first set.
Alcaraz was on the ropes early in the second set and Sinner pushed him hard in a 15-minute game, but the second seed successfully held serve for 4-4.
Sinner's failure to break in the lengthy game appeared to take the wind out of his sails, as Alcaraz sped through the next two games to level the match at a set apiece.
The Spaniard cranked up the intensity on his forehand and broke for a 2-1 lead in the third set, but with victory seemingly in sight, he suffered a lapse in concentration and allowed Sinner to level at 4-4.
In the deciding tiebreak, Sinner snatched control to take a 3-0 lead, but some excellent work at the net helped Alcaraz edge a couple of rallies and go ahead 4-3, before finally clinching the title with an emphatic cross-court forehand winner.
The tiebreak defeat was uncharacteristic for Sinner, who had won 18 out of his past 19 tiebreaks.
Asked if Sinner's record had caused him any doubt, Alcaraz said: "I never lost hope, but honestly, I know that stat. Every time that Jannik plays (a tiebreak), it goes to his side.
"I'm not going to lie, at 3-0 down and with two mini breaks for him, I thought, 'Okay, I have to give everything that I have just to try to give myself the opportunity to be close'.
"I played great points just to make it 3-3 and after that, I just thought 'go for it'. If I lost it, at least I went for it."
The result denied Australian Open and U.S. Open champion Sinner becoming the first man to retain the crown at the China National Tennis Centre since Novak Djokovic won four straight titles between 2012-15.
veryGood! (16541)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- See the 10 cars that made Consumer Reports' list of the best vehicles for 2024
- Ariana Grande Addresses Media Attention Amid Ethan Slater Romance
- When is Part 2 of 'The Voice' Season 25 premiere? Time, date, where to watch and stream
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Eye ointments sold at CVS, Walmart recalled by FDA over unsanitary conditions at plant
- In search of Powerball 2/26/24 winning numbers? Past winners offer clues to jackpot
- Letter containing white powder sent to Donald Trump Jr.'s home
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Love Is Blind’s Jess Fires Back at Jimmy for “Disheartening” Comments About “Terrible” Final Date
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Starbucks and Workers United, long at odds, say they’ll restart labor talks
- Jurors begin deliberations in retrial of an ex-convict accused of killing a 6-year-old Tucson girl
- Eddie Driscoll, 'Mad Men' and 'Entourage' actor, dies at 60: Reports
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Tommy Orange's 'Wandering Stars' is a powerful follow up to 'There There'
- Watch out Pete Maravich: See how close Iowa basketball's Caitlin Clark to scoring record
- EAGLEEYE COIN: Meta to spend 20% of next year on metaverse projects.
Recommendation
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
Starbucks and Workers United, long at odds, say they’ll restart labor talks
Bill to set minimum marriage age to 18 in Washington state heads to governor
'Mean Girls' line criticized by Lindsay Lohan removed from movie's digital version
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
Lawsuit seeks up to $11.5M over allegations that Oregon nurse replaced fentanyl drip with tap water
Ole Anderson, founding member of the pro wrestling team known as The Four Horsemen, has died
SZA, Doja Cat songs now also being removed on TikTok