Current:Home > FinanceFinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Houthi missile hits ship in Gulf of Aden as Yemeni rebels continue attacks over Israel-Hamas war -Visionary Wealth Guides
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Houthi missile hits ship in Gulf of Aden as Yemeni rebels continue attacks over Israel-Hamas war
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 23:24:28
Dubai,FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center United Arab Emirates — A missile attack by Yemen's Houthi rebels set a ship ablaze in the Gulf of Aden on Thursday, injuring one person, as Israel intercepted what appeared to be another Houthi attack near the port city of Eilat, authorities said. The attacks come as the Iran-backed rebels escalate their assaults over Israel's war against Hamas in the Gaza Strip.
The attack Thursday in the Gulf of Aden saw the Houthis fire two anti-ship ballistic missiles from southern Yemen into the Gulf, hitting the U.K.-owned cargo ship MV Islander, "causing one minor injury and damage," the U.S. military's Central Command said in a statement.
The British military's United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations center said earlier that the strike caused a fire on the ship, without elaborating. The Associated Press said the ship had been heading from Thailand for Egypt, and previously sent out messages saying "SYRIAN CREW ON BOARD" potentially to avoid being targeted by the Houthis.
Israel intercepts missile headed for Red Sea port
Sirens sounded early Thursday morning over Eilat, followed by videos posted online of what appeared to be an interception in the sky overhead. The Israeli military later said the interception was carried out by its Arrow missile defense system.
Israel did not identify what the fire was, nor where it came from. However, the Arrow system intercepts long-range ballistic missiles with a warhead designed to destroy targets while they are in space.
The system "successfully intercepted a launch which was identified in the area of the Red Sea and was en route to Israel," the Israeli military said. "The target did not cross into Israeli territory and did not pose a threat to civilians."
The Houthis did not immediately claim either attack. They typically acknowledge assaults they conduct hours afterward.
Eilat, on the Red Sea, is a key port city of Israel. On Oct. 31, Houthis first claimed a missile-and-drone barrage targeting the city. The rebels have claimed other attacks targeting Eilat, which have caused no damage in the city.
Since November, the rebels have repeatedly targeted ships in the Red Sea and surrounding waters over Israel's war against Hamas. They have frequently targeted vessels with tenuous or no clear links to Israel, imperiling shipping in a key route for trade among Asia, the Mideast and Europe. Those vessels have included at least one with cargo for Iran, the Houthis' main benefactor.
Houthi attacks continue despite U.S.-led strikes in Yemen
Despite a month of U.S.-led airstrikes, Houthi rebels remain capable of launching significant attacks. This week, they seriously damaged a ship in a crucial strait and shot down an American drone worth tens of millions of dollars.
A U.S. defense official confirmed to CBS News that a Houthi surface to air missile downed a Reaper drone on Saturday.
On Thursday, CENTCOM said U.S. aircraft and a coalition warship had shot down six Houthi explosive drones over the Red Sea. It said the drones were identified "as likely targeting U.S. and coalition warships and were an imminent threat."
Over the weekend, CENTCOM said it had also carried out a self-defense strike in Yemen against a Houthi unmanned underwater vessel, the first time the U.S. has reported the Shiite Muslim rebels using an underwater drone since attacks in the Red Sea region started in October.
The Houthis have vowed to continue their attacks until Israel stops its combat operations in the Gaza Strip, which have enraged the wider Arab world and seen the Houthis gain international recognition.
On Wednesday, ships in the Red Sea off the Houthi-held port city of Hodeida in Yemen reported seeing an explosion, though all vessels in the area were said to be safe, the UKTMO said. The UKMTO earlier reported heavy drone activity in the area.
The U.S. State Department criticized "the reckless and indiscriminate attacks on civilian cargo ships by the Houthis" that have delayed humanitarian aid including food and medicine bound for Ethiopia, Sudan and Yemen. That includes the Sea Champion, a ship carrying corn and other aid to both Aden and Hodeida.
"Contrary to what the Houthis may attempt to claim, their attacks do nothing to help the Palestinians," State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller said in a statement. "Their actions are not bringing a single morsel of assistance or food to the Palestinian people."
Vice Adm. Brad Cooper, deputy commander of CENTCOM, told "60 Minutes" that despite the ongoing attacks in the vital shipping lanes, it's clear the U.S. military is degrading the Houthis' capability.
"Every single day they attempt to attack us, we're eliminating and disrupting them in ways that are meaningful, and I do believe have an impact," he told Norah O'Donnell.
Cooper said he has an endgame in mind, which is "the restoration of the free flow of commerce and safe navigation in the Southern Red Sea," but he didn't say when that could be expected.
- In:
- Cargo Ship
- War
- Iran
- Red Sea
- Houthi Movement
- Hamas
- Israel
- Yemen
- Missile Launch
- Middle East
veryGood! (86)
Related
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- New Hampshire governor helps save man choking on lobster roll at seafood festival contest
- Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band still rock, quake and shake after 50 years
- More Big Lots store locations closing as company files for bankruptcy and new owner takes over
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Shailene Woodley Shares Outlook on Love 2 Years After Aaron Rodgers Breakup
- Oregon police recover body of missing newlywed bride; neighbor faces murder charge
- The Daily Money: All mortgages are not created equal
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- The 22 Best Dresses With Pockets Under $40: Banana Republic, Amazon, Old Navy, Target & More
Ranking
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- California's Line Fire grows due to high temperatures, forces evacuations: See map
- Here's every Super Bowl halftime performer by year as Kendrick Lamar is tapped for 2025
- 'Hillbilly Elegy' director Ron Howard 'concerned' by Trump and Vance campaign rhetoric
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- The 22 Best Dresses With Pockets Under $40: Banana Republic, Amazon, Old Navy, Target & More
- Waffle House CEO Walt Ehmer dies at 58 after a long illness
- Ex-employees of Titanic submersible’s owner to testify before Coast Guard panel
Recommendation
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
US investigating reports that some Jeep SUVs and pickups can catch fire after engines are turned off
'14-year-olds don't need AR-15s': Ga. senator aims at gun lobby as churches mourn
Where is the next presidential debate being held? Inside historic venue
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Why Amy Adams Invites Criticism for Nightb--ch Movie
Wildfires east of LA, south of Reno, Nevada, threaten homes, buildings, lead to evacuations
Ryan Blaney surges in NASCAR playoff standings, Kyle Larson takes a tumble after Atlanta