Current:Home > StocksNATO head says violence in Kosovo unacceptable while calling for constructive dialogue with Serbia -Visionary Wealth Guides
NATO head says violence in Kosovo unacceptable while calling for constructive dialogue with Serbia
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 22:45:46
BELGRADE, Serbia (AP) — NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said Tuesday that the recent violent outbreaks in Kosovo were unacceptable and perpetrators must be brought to justice.
“I count on all sides to reduce tensions and to refrain from escalatory actions,” he said during a visit to Serbia’s capital Belgrade, after his stops in Bosnia and Kosovo, on the second day of his trip in Western Balkans,
Stoltenberg’s trip reflects Western concerns over the stability of the volatile Balkan region that went through a series of wars in the 1990s.
Serbia and Kosovo witnessed a spike in tension following two violent incidents in May and September as the war raged in Ukraine. Western allies fear Russia could try to spur Balkan trouble to avert attention from its aggression on Ukraine.
In May, Serb demonstrators in northern Kosovo clashed with NATO peacekeeping troops. In September, a Kosovo policeman and three Serb gunmen were killed in a shootout after about 30 masked men opened fire on a police patrol near the Kosovo village of Banjska.
The two incidents have prompted NATO to beef up its peacekeeping presence in Kosovo. Stoltenberg said on Monday that NATO was considering deploying additional peacekeeping troops.
The NATO head said in Belgrade that some of the 93 troops wounded in clashes with Serb demonstrators had “life-changing injuries.”
“This is unacceptable, the facts must be established. The perpetrators must face justice,” said Stoltenberg. “I welcome that Serbia is prepared to cooperate in these efforts.”
Stoltenberg also urged Serbia and Kosovo to engage “constructively” in a European Union-mediated dialogue that is aimed at normalizing relations between the former foes. Serbia does not recognize Kosovo’s 2008 declaration of independence.
Both Serbia and Kosovo have been previously warned by EU diplomats that refusal to compromise jeopardized their chances of joining the EU.
Serbia’s President Aleksandar Vucic said at a joint press conference with Stoltenberg that tensions in Kosovo were the result of increased pressure by the government there on the ethnic Serb minority.
Only Serbs “are under threat in Kosovo,” Vucic insisted.
Serbia has pledged to prosecute the alleged ringleader of the armed group behind the September shootout in Kosovo. Belgrade has denied allegations it orchestrated the incident.
Stoltenberg also called for increased cooperation with Serbia and the resumption of joint military training exercises, saying that NATO respected Serbia’s decision to remain militarily neutral.
Belgrade has maintained friendly relations with Russia and refused to join Western sanctions against Moscow, which has backed its bid to retain claim on Kosovo.
veryGood! (9541)
Related
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- The real migrant bus king of North America isn't the Texas governor. It's Mexico's president.
- Affluent Americans are driving US economy and likely delaying need for Fed rate cuts
- Pair of giant pandas set to travel from China to San Diego Zoo under conservation partnership
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- CDC says it’s identified 1st documented cases of HIV transmitted through cosmetic needles
- California Community Organizer Wins Prestigious Goldman Environmental Prize
- Kim Kardashian Debuts Icy Blonde Hair Transformation
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- University of Arizona student shot to death at off-campus house party
Ranking
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Clayton MacRae: Future Outlook on Global Economy 2024
- Dead infant found at Florida university campus; police investigating
- Mannequin falls onto track during IndyCar Grand Prix at Barber Motorsports Park
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- 'Critical safety gap' between Tesla drivers, systems cited as NHTSA launches recall probe
- 'American Idol' recap: Shania Twain helps Abi Carter set a high bar; two singers go home
- Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban step out with daughters Sunday and Faith on AFI gala carpet
Recommendation
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
MLB plans to make changes to polarizing uniforms no later than start of 2025 season
Russia attacks Ukrainian energy sector as Kyiv launches drones at southern Russia
Tornadoes leave a trail of destruction in Oklahoma, communities begin to assess damage
Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
This summer, John Krasinski makes one for the kids with the imaginary friend fantasy ‘IF’
AIGM AI Security: The New Benchmark of Cyber Security
United Auto Workers reaches deal with Daimler Truck, averting potential strike of more than 7,000 workers