Current:Home > InvestCharles Langston:New Hampshire casino to shut down for 6 months, could re-open if sold by owner accused of fraud -Visionary Wealth Guides
Charles Langston:New Hampshire casino to shut down for 6 months, could re-open if sold by owner accused of fraud
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-07 01:03:04
CONCORD,Charles Langston N.H. (AP) — A New Hampshire casino owned by a former state senator accused of buying luxury cars with a fraudulently obtained COVID-19 relief loan will be shut down Jan. 1 but allowed to reopen in six months if sold to a new owner, the state lottery commission said in a decision made public Thursday
The commission tried in August to permanently revoke Andy Sanborn’s gaming operator’s license, but he appealed the decision and requested a hearing before an independent examiner. That hearing was held earlier this month, and a decision was issued Wednesday.
Sanborn, a Republican from Bedford, owns the Concord Casino within The Draft Sports Bar and Grill in Concord and was seeking to open a much larger charitable gaming venue a few miles away. But the commission argued that his license should be revoked because he improperly obtained federal funds, misrepresented how he spent the money, paid himself large sums as rent and failed to keep accurate records overall.
According to the investigation, Sanborn fraudulently obtained $844,000 in funding from the Small Business Administration between December 2021 and February 2022. Casinos and charitable gaming facilities weren’t eligible for such loans, but Sanborn omitted his business name, “Concord Casino,” from his application and listed his primary business activity as “miscellaneous services,” officials said.
He’s accused of spending $181,000 on two Porsche race cars and $80,000 on a Ferrari for his wife. Sanborn also paid himself more than $183,000 for what he characterized as rent for his Concord properties, investigators said.
In his ruling, hearings examiner Michael King said it was not within his purview to determine if the loan application was fraudulent, but said filing it with “clear false and/or misleading information” was enough to suspend his license because such action “undermines the public confidence in charitable gaming.” He also rejected Sanborn’s claim that the cars were not purchased with the loan, saying there was a “straight line” from the receipt of the loan to the purchase of the vehicles. And he noted that none of the cars were American made, which violates the terms of the loan.
Revocation of the license was not appropriate, King said, because other license holders had been given opportunities to sell their businesses prior to suspensions or revocations.
Sanborn, who did not attend the hearing because he was at a medical appointment, did not immediately respond to a request for comment Thursday. His lawyer had argued that the state’s entire case was built on a sloppy investigation and unproven allegations about the COVID-19 relief loan.
At the time the allegations were announced in August, officials said federal authorities had been notified and that the state had begun a criminal investigation.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Mountain West Conference survives as 7 remaining schools sign agreement to stay in league
- Philadelphia’s district attorney scores legal win against GOP impeachment effort
- Tribal Members Journey to Washington Push for Reauthorization of Radiation Exposure Compensation Act
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Why Paige DeSorbo Wasn't by Boyfriend Craig Conover's Side at 2024 People's Choice Country Awards
- Trump favors huge new tariffs. What are they, and how do they work?
- Mother pleads guilty in the death of her 5-year-old son whose body was found in a park
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Best Kitten Heels for Giving Your Style a Little Lift, Shop the Trend With Picks From Amazon, DSW & More
Ranking
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Travis Kelce's Ultimate Weakness Revealed—By His Mom Donna Kelce
- Florida man files a lawsuit to prevent Ohtani’s 50th HR ball from going to auction
- Lana Del Rey Marries Alligator Guide Jeremy Dufrene in Louisiana Swamp Wedding Ceremony
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Jury deliberation begins in the trial over Memphis rapper Young Dolph’s killing
- How the new 2025 GMC Yukon offers off-road luxury
- Groups work to engage young voters in democracy as election processes come under scrutiny
Recommendation
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Cardi B says she regrets marrying Offset: 'Always been too good for you'
Don't ask the internet how much house you can afford. We have answers.
Melania Trump calls her husband’s survival of assassination attempts ‘miracles’
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
North Carolina lieutenant governor names new chief aide as staff departures grow
The Surprising Way Today’s Dylan Dreyer Found Out About Hoda Kotb’s Departure
Federal government to roll back oversight on Alabama women’s prison after nine years