Current:Home > StocksWhat’s next for Alec Baldwin after involuntary manslaughter case dismissal -Visionary Wealth Guides
What’s next for Alec Baldwin after involuntary manslaughter case dismissal
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 15:55:40
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A New Mexico judge dismissed the involuntary manslaughter case against Alec Baldwin over the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins in a sudden move Friday.
Judge Mary Marlowe Sommer dismissed the case based on the misconduct of police and prosecutors over the withholding of evidence from the defense. She said the case cannot be filed again.
Baldwin, the lead actor and co-producer of the film “Rust,” was pointing a gun at Hutchins during a rehearsal on the set outside Santa Fe in October 2021 when the gun went off, killing her and wounding director Joel Souza. Baldwin has said he pulled back the hammer — but not the trigger — and the gun fired.
He and other producers still face civil lawsuits from Hutchins’ parents and sister, which white collar defense attorney Mark Sedlander told The Associated Press are more common for workplace accidents like the fatal shooting.
“By civil law standards, it is common for someone like Mr. Baldwin to be held responsible for what happened, but it is relatively unusual in the criminal context,” Sedlander said in an interview before the case was dismissed.
Whether “Rust” will be released is still unclear. The plot follows Baldwin as a western outlaw who works to break his grandson out of prison after he is convicted of an accidental murder. Filming wrapped in 2023, and producers have said finishing the film was meant to honor Hutchins’ artistic vision and generate money for her young son.
The career of the “30 Rock” star and frequent “Saturday Night Live” host — who has been a household name for more than three decades — had been put into doubt, and he could have gotten 18 months in prison if convicted.
In June, amid the looming trial, Baldwin and his wife, Hilaria, announced they would appear in a reality series about their large family. He shares seven young kids with Hilaria and one adult daughter, Ireland Baldwin, with his ex-wife, Kim Basinger.
The TLC series, tentatively titled “The Baldwins,” is set to release in 2025.
veryGood! (3491)
Related
- Sam Taylor
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
Ranking
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Recommendation
'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
Could your smelly farts help science?
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power