Current:Home > StocksColorado teens accused of taking ‘memento’ photo after rock-throwing death set to appear in court -Visionary Wealth Guides
Colorado teens accused of taking ‘memento’ photo after rock-throwing death set to appear in court
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 17:23:40
GOLDEN, Colo. (AP) — Three teenagers charged with murder in the death of a 20-year Colorado driver who was struck by a rock that investigators say was thrown through her windshield are set to appear in court Wednesday for an evidentiary hearing to determine if their case should go to trial.
Joseph Koenig, Nicholas “Mitch” Karol-Chik and Zachary Kwak were arrested several days after Alexa Bartell was hit in the head by a rock while driving northwest of Denver on April 19 and talking on the phone with a friend. After the call went silent, the friend tracked Bartell’s location with a phone app and found the suburban Denver woman dead in her car, which had crashed into a field.
Investigators have said Bartell was killed by the rock and not the crash.
According to court documents, the teens, all 18 at the time, circled back to take a photo of the crashed car as a “memento.”
Investigators said at the time that they believed the attack was linked to several other similar incidents in which rocks between 4 and 6 inches (10 and 15 centimeters) in diameter and weighing 3 to 5 pounds (1.4 to 2.7 kilograms) were thrown at cars in the area the night of Bartell’s death.
The attacks started just after 10 p.m. and involved at least seven vehicles. In addition to Bartell’s death, three people suffered minor injuries.
All three of the teens were suspected of throwing rocks at vehicles.
Karol-Chik told investigators that Koenig slowed down so Kwak could get a photo of Bartell’s car, according to arrest affidavits. Karol-Chik also said the three got excited every time they hit a car with a rock that night but acknowledged he felt “a hint of guilt” passing by Bartell’s car, according to the documents.
Kwak said he took the photo because he thought that Karol-Chik or Koenig would want to have a “memento” of what had happened, according to the affidavits. Koenig did not speak to investigators after he was arrested.
Attorneys for the three teenagers did not immediately respond to voice messages seeking comment Tuesday evening.
The teens were arrested at their suburban Denver homes after being identified as suspects with the help of cellphone tower data and another friend who had been hanging out with them earlier that day.
The friend told investigators that Koenig often participates in “destructive behavior” because “he likes causing ‘chaos,’” according to court documents. He told sheriff’s investigators he asked to be taken home after he saw the three others taking landscaping rocks from a Walmart parking lot and loading them into Karol-Chik’s pickup, because he said he knew something bad was going to happen, according to the documents.
All three teens are charged with first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder, second-degree assault and attempted second-degree assault. Koenig and Karol-Chik face additional charges of attempted first-degree murder and attempted second-degree assault for an earlier incident in which they are accused of throwing a statue head at a moving vehicle in Arvada.
veryGood! (24)
Related
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Brazil unveils $4 million supercow, twice as meaty as others of her breed
- General Mills turned blind eye to decades of racism at Georgia plant, Black workers allege
- Over 20,000 pounds of beef products recalled for not being properly inspected, USDA says
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Levi Wright’s Mom Shares Gut-Wrenching Final Moments With 3-Year-Old Before Toy Tractor Accident
- Fossil-hunting diver says he has found a large section of mastodon tusk off Florida’s coast
- Boil-water advisory lifted in Atlanta after water system problems
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- A realistic way to protect kids from social media? Find a middle ground
Ranking
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Over 1.2 million rechargeable lights are under recall for fire hazards, following one reported death
- Over 1.2 million rechargeable lights are under recall for fire hazards, following one reported death
- Over 1.2 million rechargeable lights are under recall for fire hazards, following one reported death
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- 'Happy National Donut Day, y'all': Jelly Roll toasts Dunkin' in new video
- Over 20,000 pounds of beef products recalled for not being properly inspected, USDA says
- Photo shows army horses that bolted through London recovering ahead of expected return to duty
Recommendation
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Brazil unveils $4 million supercow, twice as meaty as others of her breed
Paul Skenes blew away Shohei Ohtani in their first meeting. The two-time MVP got revenge.
Trump ally Steve Bannon must surrender to prison by July 1 to start contempt sentence, judge says
Trump's 'stop
Save 50% on Aerie Swimwear, 30% on Frontgate, 25% on Kiehl's, 50% on REI & More Deals
Tinashe Reveals the Surprising Inspiration Behind Her Viral Song “Nasty”
Stanley Cup Final difference-makers: Connor McDavid, Aleksander Barkov among 10 stars to watch