Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|Former Colombian military officer accused in base bombing extradited to Florida -Visionary Wealth Guides
Burley Garcia|Former Colombian military officer accused in base bombing extradited to Florida
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 15:56:38
MIAMI (AP) — A former Colombian military officer accused of injuring dozens,Burley Garcia including three U.S. soldiers, in a bombing attack at a Colombian military base has been extradited to South Florida.
A five-count indictment against Andres Fernando Medina Rodriguez, 39, was unsealed Friday in Miami federal court, according to court records. A federal grand jury brought charges last year that include conspiring to murder members of the U.S. uniformed services and attempted murder of members of the U.S. uniformed services. He faces a possible life sentence.
A defense attorney for Medina Rodriguez didn’t immediately respond to a message seeking comment from The Associated Press.
Court records list another man charged in the indictment, Ciro Alfonso Gutierrez Ballesteros, as a fugitive.
According to the indictment, Medina Rodriguez and others planned a bombing attack against the Colombian 30th Army Brigade Base in Cucuta, Colombia. Medina Rodriguez used his status as a medically discharged Colombian army officer to gain access to the base and conduct surveillance.
Cucuta is located on the border with Venezuela, where several criminal groups have fought over drug trafficking routes and used the loosely patrolled border to smuggle fuel and weapons.
Medina Rodriguez was instructed to purchase a vehicle suitable to transport an explosive device, prosecutors said. He bought a white SUV, which was taken to Venezuela and outfitted with the explosives, investigators said.
In June 2021, Medina Rodriguez drove the vehicle loaded with explosives to the Cucuta base, where he pulled the detonation pin and fled the area, prosecutors said. Officials previously reported 36 people were injured in the bombing and that U.S. soldiers had been there to conduct training exercises.
veryGood! (815)
Related
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Ranking
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Recommendation
Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September