Current:Home > NewsCharles Langston:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Visionary Wealth Guides
Charles Langston:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 20:54:05
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Charles Langstonagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (24)
Related
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Ryan Mallett, former NFL quarterback, dies in apparent drowning at age 35
- Feeding 9 Billion People
- Bruce Willis’ Daughter Tallulah Shares Emotional Details of His “Decline” With Dementia
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- U.S. formally investigating reports of botched Syria strike alleged to have killed civilian in May
- Most pickup trucks have unsafe rear seats, new study finds
- After ex-NFL player Ryan Mallett's death at Florida beach, authorities release bodycam video and say no indication of rip current
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- The hospital bills didn't find her, but a lawsuit did — plus interest
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- 4 Ways to Cut Plastic’s Growing Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- Top Chef Star Gail Simmons Shares a Go-to Dessert That Even the Pickiest Eaters Will Love
- The Western Consumption Problem: We Can’t Just Blame China
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Ali Wong Addresses Weird Interest in Her Private Life Amid Bill Hader Relationship
- Tax Bill Impact: What Happens to Renewable Energy?
- The 26 Best Deals From the Nordstrom Half Yearly Sale: 60% Off Coach, Good American, SKIMS, and More
Recommendation
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Stitcher shuts down as podcast industry loses luster
Lake Erie’s Toxic Green Slime is Getting Worse With Climate Change
Trump Plan Would Open Huge Area of Alaska’s National Petroleum Reserve to Drilling
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
Alaska Tribes Petition to Preserve Tongass National Forest Roadless Protections
Inside Halle Bailey’s Enchanting No-Makeup Makeup Look for The Little Mermaid
Kaley Cuoco Reveals If She and Tom Pelphrey Plan to Work Together in the Future