Current:Home > InvestA Baltimore priest has been dismissed over 2018 sexual harassment settlement -Visionary Wealth Guides
A Baltimore priest has been dismissed over 2018 sexual harassment settlement
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-07 07:38:47
BALTIMORE (AP) — A Benedictine monk has been suspended from ministry after the Catholic Archdiocese of Baltimore recently became aware of a payment he made several years ago to settle sexual harassment allegations.
Last week, Father Paschal Morlino was dismissed from his position as pastor of St. Benedict Church in southwest Baltimore, where he served for nearly 40 years and became known for his longstanding efforts to help residents of poor neighborhoods surrounding the church.
The archdiocese learned about the settlement Thursday when reporters for The Baltimore Banner inquired about it, officials said in a statement Sunday. They said they immediately opened an internal investigation and decided to dismiss Morlino.
“He is no longer permitted to celebrate Mass or engage in public ministry in the Archdiocese,” the statement said.
Morlino, 85, has returned to Saint Vincent Archabbey in Pennsylvania, the oldest Benedictine monastery in the country, after both the Baltimore archdiocese and the Order of Saint Benedict made a joint decision to suspend his priestly faculties, officials said. The investigation is ongoing.
Kim Metzgar, communications director for Saint Vincent Archabbey, said she was unable to comment because of the ongoing investigation.
The archdiocese will appoint a new administrator to oversee Saint Benedict Church, which is owned and operated by the Benedictines, according to their statement.
Church officials disclosed few details about the 2018 complaint against Morlino, saying only that it focused on “alleged sexual harassment of an adult man” who had died before the complaint was filed. Officials said they were unable to corroborate the third-party allegations as a result.
In an interview last week with The Banner, Morlino confirmed the $200,000 settlement payment, denied any wrongdoing and said he had nothing to hide.
“I just wanted to keep him quiet, to be rid of him, because he was just stirring up trouble,” he told The Banner, referring to the complainant, who died in 2020.
An attorney who represented the man didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment Monday.
Morlino arrived at St. Benedict in 1984, a time of declining membership and waning interest in the church. In the years that followed, he led efforts to update and improve church buildings and strengthen the parish’s mission, according to their website.
Before coming to Baltimore, Morlino founded Adelphoi Village, a nonprofit child care agency that works with at-risk youth in Pennsylvania.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Ranking
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
Recommendation
Small twin
Travis Hunter, the 2
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing