Current:Home > FinanceGen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says -Visionary Wealth Guides
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 23:30:59
Retired Gen. Mark Milley, who served as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in the Trump and Biden administrations, has had both his security detail and his security clearance revoked, the Pentagon says.
New Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth "informed General Milley today that he is revoking the authorization for his security detail and suspending his security clearance as well," Pentagon spokesman John Ullyot told CBS News in a statement Tuesday night.
Ullyot said Hegseth "also directed" the Defense Department's Office of Inspector General to "conduct an inquiry into the facts and circumstances surrounding Gen. Milley's conduct so that the Secretary may determine whether it is appropriate to reopen his military grade review determination."
Acting Defense Department Inspector General Stephen Stebbins received a request to review whether Milley, a four-star general, should be stripped of a star, a spokesperson with the Pentagon's inspector general's office also told CBS News. Stebbins is reviewing the request.
Mr. Trump nominated Milley to head the Joint Chiefs during his first term, a position Milley held for a full four-year term from 2019 until 2023.
Mr. Trump and Milley, however, had a public falling out in the final months of Mr. Trump's first term over several incidents, beginning with an apology Milley issued for taking part, while dressed in fatigues, in the photo opin front of St. John's Church in June 2020 after federal officers cleared out social justice protesters from Lafayette Park so Mr. Trump could walk to the church from the White House.
A book published in September 2021revealed that Milley had also engaged in two phone calls — one on Oct. 30, 2020, and the second on Jan. 8, 2021, two days after the Capitol insurrection — with Chinese General Li Zuocheng of the People's Liberation Army in order to assure him that the U.S. would not launch an attack against China and that the U.S. was stable.
At the time of the revelation, Mr. Trump claimed Milley should be tried for "treason." Then, in a shocking 2023 social media post, Mr. Trump suggested the calls constituted a "treasonous act" that could warrant execution.
In an October 2023 interviewwith "60 Minutes," Milley said the calls were "an example of deescalation. So — there was clear indications — that the Chinese were very concerned about what they were observing — here in the United States."
According to another 2021 book, Milley feared that Mr. Trump would attempt a coupafter losing the 2020 election and made preparations in case such a plan had been carried out.
On Jan. 20, as he was leaving office, former President Joe Biden preemptively pardonedMilley along with others he thought could be targeted by the Trump administration.
In a statement Tuesday, Joe Kasper, Defense Department Chief of Staff, told CBS News that "undermining the chain of command is corrosive to our national security, and restoring accountability is a priority for the Defense Department under President Trump's leadership."
The Trump administration has also revoked the federal security details of former Trump Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, former Trump national security adviser John Bolton, former Trump special envoy on Iran Brian Hook and Dr. Anthony Fauci, former longtime director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
Melissa Quinn contributed to this report.
- In:
- Pentagon
- Mark Milley
- Donald Trump
- Defense Department
Faris Tanyos is a news editor for CBSNews.com, where he writes and edits stories and tracks breaking news. He previously worked as a digital news producer at several local news stations up and down the West Coast.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (8225)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Wisconsin launches $100 million fund to help start-up companies, entrepreneurs
- 2 new giant pandas are returning to Washington's National Zoo from China
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Steak Tips
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- 'Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door' worth the wait: What to know about new Switch game
- More than 4 million chickens to be killed in Iowa after officials detect bird flu on farm
- How a lost credit card and $7 cheeseburger reignited California’s debate over excessive bail
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- The US-built pier in Gaza broke apart. Here’s how we got here and what might be next
Ranking
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- New Hampshire’s limits on teaching on race and gender are unconstitutional, judge says
- On Facebook, some pro-Palestinian groups have become a hotbed of antisemitism, study says
- Kelly Hyland Receives Support From Dance Moms Stars After Sharing Breast Cancer Diagnosis
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Your 401(k) match is billed as free money, but high-income workers may be getting an unfair share
- Hurricane Ian destroyed his house. Still homeless, he's facing near-record summer heat.
- 3 Black passengers sue American Airlines after alleging racial discrimination following odor complaint
Recommendation
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Massachusetts man known as 'Bad Breath Rapist' found in California after years on the run
Patrol vehicle runs over 2 women on Florida beach; sergeant cited for careless driving
Planned Parenthood asks judge to expand health exception to Indiana abortion ban
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
A year after Titan sub implosion, an Ohio billionaire says he wants to make his own voyage to Titanic wreckage
Kourtney Kardashian and Kim Kardashian Set the Record Straight on Their Feud
Murder trial ordered in Michigan killing that stoked anti-immigrant campaign rhetoric