Current:Home > FinanceAlex Jones' Infowars set to be auctioned off to help pay victims of Sandy Hook defamation case -Visionary Wealth Guides
Alex Jones' Infowars set to be auctioned off to help pay victims of Sandy Hook defamation case
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 00:02:38
Infowars, the media platform owned by conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, and its assets will be sold off this fall to help pay the more than $1 billion he owes the families of the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.
U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Christopher Lopez said in a Tuesday court hearing he would approve the order, which will force Jones to sell off the assets in auctions in November, court records say.
Free Speech Systems, which is Infowar's parent company and owned in totality by Jones, will have its ownership transferred to the trustee overseeing Jones's personal bankruptcy case before being sold off.
Jones has vowed to his supporters that he will continue to produce content even after losing control of his company and has said the assets to Infowars could be bought by his supporters.
A two-year odyssey enters its last stages
Back in 2022, the families of the victims of the Sandy Hook shooting won a defamation case of $1.5 billion after they accused the conservative talk-show host of calling the 2012 shooting which left 20 children and six adults dead, a hoax staged by “crisis actors.”
The effects from this case were felt immediately for Jones, who filed for bankruptcy protection as well as his company.
The families that launched the lawsuit against Jones said they were traumatized by his comments and had been harassed and threatened by Jones' supporters following his comments on his show.
Some were confronted in person and were told by Jones' supporters the shooting had never happened. In one case, a parent suing Jones said one of Jones' supporters threatened to dig up his son's grave.
Liquidation ordered in June
Lopez ordered to convert Jones' bankruptcy reorganization into a liquidation back in June, which means all of his assets will be sold off except his main home and any other exempt property. It is expected that the sell-off auction will begin on Nov. 13, court records said.
Christopher Mattei, a lawyer for the Sandy Hook families in one of the lawsuits against Jones, told the Associated Press the auctions are an important step forward.
“Alex Jones will no longer own or control the company he built,” Mattei said, according to the AP. “This brings the families closer to their goal of holding him accountable for the harm he has caused.”
The items up for sale in November will include Infowars’ trademarks, copyrighted material, social media accounts and websites. However, Jones’ personal social media profiles will not be included in the sale.
Fernando Cervantes Jr. is a trending news reporter for USA TODAY. Reach him at [email protected] and follow him on X @fern_cerv_.
veryGood! (38633)
Related
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Kansas basketball vs Michigan State live score updates, highlights, how to watch Champions Classic
- Judge sets April trial date for Sarah Palin’s libel claim against The New York Times
- Mike Tyson impresses crowd during workout ahead of Jake Paul fight
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Voyager 2 is the only craft to visit Uranus. Its findings may have misled us for 40 years.
- Wendi McLendon-Covey talks NBC sitcom 'St. Denis Medical' and hospital humor
- Multi-State Offshore Wind Pact Weakened After Connecticut Sits Out First Selection
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- 'Wheel of Fortune' contestant makes viral mistake: 'Treat yourself a round of sausage'
Ranking
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Louisiana House greenlights Gov. Jeff Landry’s tax cuts
- Judge moves to slash $38 million verdict in New Hampshire youth center abuse case
- 13 Skincare Gifts Under $50 That Are Actually Worth It
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- FC Cincinnati player Marco Angulo dies at 22 after injuries from October crash
- Tony Hinchcliffe refuses to apologize after calling Puerto Rico 'garbage' at Trump rally
- 2 dead in explosion at Kentucky factory that also damaged surrounding neighborhood
Recommendation
Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
Man jailed after Tuskegee University shooting says he fired his gun, but denies shooting at anyone
13 escaped monkeys still on the loose in South Carolina after 30 were recaptured
NCT DREAM enters the 'DREAMSCAPE': Members on new album, its concept and songwriting
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
Watch as dust storm that caused 20-car pileup whips through central California
Father, 5 children hurt in propane tank explosion while getting toys: 'Devastating accident'
Five best fits for Alex Bregman: Will Astros homegrown star leave as free agent?