Current:Home > MarketsAlgosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-U.S. weighing options in Africa after Niger junta orders departure from key counterterrorism base -Visionary Wealth Guides
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center-U.S. weighing options in Africa after Niger junta orders departure from key counterterrorism base
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 15:19:21
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank CenterPentagon is working with Niger officials to find a way for U.S. troops to stay in the country — a key base for counterterrorism operations in sub-Saharan Africa — following a weekend directive that they leave.
Last week a high level-delegation of U.S. officials, including Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs Molly Phee, Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs Celeste Wallander and the head of U.S. Africa Command Gen. Michael Langley, traveled to Niger to meet with members of the military junta.
Pentagon deputy press secretary Sabrina Singh said Monday the U.S. officials had “lengthy and direct” discussions with the junta officials that were also in part spurred by concerns over Niger’s potential relationships with Russia and Iran.
“We were troubled on the path that Niger is on,” Singh said.
On Saturday, following the meeting, the junta’s spokesperson, Col. Maj. Amadou Abdramane, said U.S. flights over Niger’s territory in recent weeks were illegal. Meanwhile, Insa Garba Saidou, a local activist who assists Niger’s military rulers with their communications, criticized U.S. efforts to force the junta to pick between strategic partners.
“The American bases and civilian personnel cannot stay on Nigerien soil any longer,” he told The Associated Press.
Singh said the U.S. was aware of the March 16 statement “announcing the end of the status of forces agreement between Niger and the United States. We are working through diplomatic channels to seek clarification. These are ongoing discussions and we don’t have more to share at this time.”
The junta has largely been in control in Niger since July when mutinous soldiers ousted the country’s democratically elected president and months later asked French forces to leave.
The U.S. military still had some 650 troops working in Niger in December, largely consolidated at a base farther away from Niamey, Niger’s capital. Singh said the total number of personnel still in country, including civilians and contractors, is roughly 1,000.
The Niger base is critical for U.S. counterterrorism operations in the Sahel and has been used for both manned and unmanned surveillance operations, although Singh said the only drone flights being currently conducted are for force protection.
In the Sahel the U.S. has also supported local ground troops, including accompanying them on missions. However, such accompanied missions have been scaled back since U.S. troops were killed in a joint operation in Niger in 2017.
veryGood! (9817)
Related
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- On the road: Plenty of NBA teams mixing the grind of training camp with resort life
- International fiesta fills New Mexico’s sky with colorful hot air balloons
- Watch 3-month-old baby tap out tearful Airman uncle during their emotional first meeting
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Texas man sought in wounding of small town’s police chief
- Saoirse Ronan Shares Rare Insight Into Relationship With Husband Jack Lowden
- Progressive prosecutors in Georgia faced backlash from the start. They say it’s all politics.
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Utah woman arrested after telling informant she shot her estranged husband in his sleep
Ranking
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Soul-searching and regret over unheeded warnings follow Helene’s destruction
- There are 19 college football unbeatens. Predicting when each team will lose for first time
- Les Miles moves lawsuit over vacated LSU wins from federal to state court
- Small twin
- Jobs report is likely to show another month of modest but steady hiring gains
- Saoirse Ronan made a life for herself. Now, she's 'ready to be out there again.'
- Kim Kardashian calls to free Erik and Lyle Menendez after brutal 1996 killings of parents
Recommendation
Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
The Fate of That '90s Show Revealed After Season 2
Mortgage rates are at a two-year low. When should you refinance?
Detroit bus driver gets 6 months in jail for killing pedestrian
What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
Kim Kardashian calls to free Erik and Lyle Menendez after brutal 1996 killings of parents
Love Is Blind's AD Smith and Love Is Blind UK’s Ollie Sutherland Fuel Romance Rumors With Dinner Outing
What Is My Hair Texture? Here’s How You Can Find Out, According to an Expert