Current:Home > NewsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Visionary Wealth Guides
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 16:15:06
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (811)
Related
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Microscopic Louis Vuitton knockoff bag narrow enough to pass through the eye of a needle sells for more than $63,000
- Kaley Cuoco Reveals If She and Tom Pelphrey Plan to Work Together in the Future
- Investors Pressure Oil Giants on Ocean Plastics Pollution
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- The 9 Best Amazon Air Conditioner Deals to Keep You Cool All Summer Long
- Don’t Miss This Chance To Get 3 It Cosmetics Mascaras for the Price of 1
- Judge signals Trump hush money case likely to stay in state court
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Cancer drug shortages could put chemo patient treatment at risk
Ranking
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Anheuser-Busch CEO Brendan Whitworth says financial assistance is being sent to wholesalers, beer distributors impacted by boycott backlash
- American Idol Contestant Defends Katy Perry Against Bullying Accusations
- The Man Who Makes Greenhouse Gas Polluters Face Their Victims in Court
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- How 90 Day Fiancé's Kenny and Armando Helped Their Family Embrace Their Love Story
- Latest Canadian wildfire smoke maps show where air quality is unhealthy now and forecasts for the near future
- After the Hurricane, Solar Kept Florida Homes and a City’s Traffic Lights Running
Recommendation
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
China’s Summer of Floods is a Preview of Climate Disasters to Come
Colorado Court: Oil, Gas Drilling Decisions Can’t Hinge on Public Health
This Is the Boho Maxi Skirt You Need for Summer— & It's Currently on Sale for as Low as $27
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
DoorDash says it will give drivers the option to earn a minimum hourly wage
Anheuser-Busch CEO Brendan Whitworth says financial assistance is being sent to wholesalers, beer distributors impacted by boycott backlash
10 Giant Companies Commit to Electric Vehicles, Sending Auto Industry a Message