Current:Home > FinanceBenjamin Ashford|Federal prosecutors charge ex-Los Angeles County deputies in sham raid and $37M extortion -Visionary Wealth Guides
Benjamin Ashford|Federal prosecutors charge ex-Los Angeles County deputies in sham raid and $37M extortion
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 15:32:41
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Two former Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies and Benjamin Ashfordtwo former foreign military officials have been charged with threatening a Chinese national and his family with violence and deportation during a sham raid at his Orange County home five years ago, federal prosecutors said Monday.
The four men also demanded $37 million and the rights to the man’s business, according to the U.S. attorney’s office in Los Angeles. Authorities have not released the businessman’s name.
The men are scheduled to be arraigned Monday afternoon on charges of conspiracy to commit extortion, attempted extortion, conspiracy against rights, and deprivation of rights under color of law.
Prosecutors said the group drove to the victim’s house in Irvine on June 17, 2019, and forced him, his wife and their two children into a room for hours, took their phones, and threatened to deport him unless he complied with their demands. Authorities said the man is a legal permanent resident.
The men slammed the businessman against a wall and choked him, prosecutors said. Fearing for his and his family’s safety, he signed documents relinquishing his multimillion-dollar interest in Jiangsu Sinorgchem Technology Co. Ltd., a China-based company that makes rubber chemicals.
Federal prosecutors said the man’s business partner, a Chinese woman who was not indicted, financed the bogus raid. The two had been embroiled in legal disputes over the company in the United States and China for more than a decade, prosecutors said.
Prosecutors said one of the men charged, Steven Arthur Lankford — who retired from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department in 2020 — searched for information on the victim in a national database using a terminal at the sheriff’s department. They said Lankford, 68, drove the other three men to the victim’s house in an unmarked sheriff’s department vehicle, flashed his badge and identified himself as a police officer.
It was not immediately clear if Lankford has an attorney who can speak on his behalf. The Associated Press left a message Monday at a telephone number listed for Lankford, but he did not respond.
Federal prosecutors also charged Glen Louis Cozart, 63, of Upland, who also used to be a sheriff’s deputy. The AP left a phone message for Cozart, but he didn’t immediately respond.
Lankford was hired by Cozart, who in turn was hired by Max Samuel Bennett Turbett, a 39-year-old U.K. citizen and former member of the British military who also faces charges. Prosecutors said Turbett was hired by the Chinese businesswoman who financed the bogus raid.
Matthew Phillip Hart, 41, an Australian citizen and former member of the Australian military, is also charged in the case.
“It is critical that we hold public officials, including law enforcement officers, to the same standards as the rest of us,” said United States Attorney Martin Estrada. “It is unacceptable and a serious civil rights violation for a sworn police officer to take the law into his own hands and abuse the authority of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.”
If convicted, the four men could each face up to 20 years in federal prison.
veryGood! (61)
Related
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- 'The Voice' contestant Tom Nitti reveals 'gut-wrenching' reason for mid-season departure
- A simpler FAFSA's coming. But it won't necessarily make getting money easier. Here's why.
- What does 'delulu' mean? Whether on Tiktok or text, here's how to use the slang term.
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Narcissists are everywhere, but you should never tell someone they are one. Here's why.
- Former Jacksonville Jaguars employee charged with stealing $22 million from team
- Mexico focuses on looking for people falsely listed as missing, ignores thousands of disappeared
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- St. Louis prosecutor, appointed 6 months ago, is seeking a full term in 2024
Ranking
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Former Polish President Lech Walesa, 80, says he is better but remains hospitalized with COVID-19
- UK leader Rishi Sunak faces a Conservative crisis over his blocked plan to send migrants to Rwanda
- Ancient 'ghost galaxy' shrouded in dust detected by NASA: What makes this 'monster' special
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Are Amy Robach and T.J. Holmes' exes dating each other? Why that's not as shocking as you might think.
- Mexico focuses on looking for people falsely listed as missing, ignores thousands of disappeared
- New York man wins Mega Millions twice in one night, cashes tickets in one year later
Recommendation
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Families had long dialogue after Pittsburgh synagogue attack. Now they’ve unveiled a memorial design
Like Goldfish? How about chips? Soon you can have both with Goldfish Crisps.
Say Anything announces 20th anniversary concert tour for '...Is a Real Boy' album
San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
Julia Roberts Shares Sweet Update on Family Life With Her and Danny Moder’s 3 Kids
Twitch says it’s withdrawing from the South Korean market over expensive network fees
RHOC's Shannon Beador Breaks Silence on Her Ex John Janssen Dating Alum Alexis Bellino