Current:Home > MarketsCharles H. Sloan-Cook Children’s sues Texas over potential Medicaid contract loss -Visionary Wealth Guides
Charles H. Sloan-Cook Children’s sues Texas over potential Medicaid contract loss
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-07 00:21:54
Cook Children’s Health Plan has filed two lawsuits against the state to stop the Texas Health and Charles H. SloanHuman Services Commission from removing them as a longstanding Medicaid contractor.
In a news conference on Wednesday, the Fort Worth-based health care system announced the lawsuits as an attempt to halt the $116 billion Medicaid procurement process that removes Cook Children’s and two other hospital-affiliated children’s health plans from Medicaid STAR and Children’s Health Insurance Program, also known as CHIP.
The proposed shake-up would remove Cook Children’s Health Plan in the state’s Tarrant service area, Texas Children’s Health Plan in the Harris region, and Driscoll Health Plan in South Texas in favor of private companies. Together, the three plans operate as managed care organizations that provide Medicaid coverage to Texans in their respective regions.
The three plans, formed two decades ago, serve more than 700,000 families, pregnant women, and children.
If the state’s health agency’s decision stands, it would mean reducing the number of managed care organizations that administer STAR and CHIP, shifting toward national for-profit health companies in most areas of the state.
It will also require the nearly 1.8 million Texans who receive Medicaid coverage from six managed care organizations across the state to shift to new insurers by next year.
The lawsuits were in Travis County. One petition asks for declaratory judgment and injunctive relief against HHSC Commissioner Cecile Erwin Young in hopes of overturning the contract decision. The second lawsuit filed is a temporary restraining order against the state’s health agency to stop finalizing procurement results.
“These actions we take are strong but necessary,” said Rick W. Merrill, president and CEO of Cook Children’s Health Care System, in a news release.
Jennifer Ruffcorn, an HHSC spokesperson said the agency doesn’t speak on pending litigation but mentioned the contract situation is still pending.
“Although the (Request for Proposals) has been posted, responded to, and evaluated, it remains an open procurement until all protests and appeals submitted by respondents have been resolved and contracts have been executed,” Ruffcorn said in an email.
Currently, the procurement process’s future lies squarely at Young’s discretion. She has no deadline for deciding whether to uphold the agency’s decision, cancel it and start over, or officially delay it until lawmakers can respond when they meet next year.
In a news release Wednesday, Karen Love, President of Cook Children’s Health Plan, said that removing the Medicaid contracts from the three hospital affiliates is based on a flawed process that will put Texas families at the mercy of national for-profit insurance companies.
“The State got it wrong, and we are asking the courts to make it right,” she said.
Texas Medicaid STAR and CHIP programs cover the cost of routine, acute, and emergency medical visits. STAR is primarily for pregnant women, low-income children, and their caretakers. CHIP provides health care to low-income children whose family’s income is too high for Medicaid, which has some of the lowest income limits in the country. Their members compose the vast majority of Texans on state Medicaid programs.
Medicaid managed care contracts are routinely the most expensive contracts taxpayers fund.
Texas officials earlier this month rejected attempts by several managed care organizations to cancel the proposal that would drop them from the state Medicaid program.
Representatives for Driscoll Health Plan said Thursday that their organization has appealed this decision to the state, as more than 500 jobs could be eliminated if it is finalized.
Craig Smith, Driscoll Health Plan CEO told The Texas Tribune on Thursday that his organization filed a second appeal last week and is now awaiting a ruling. He said he is also prepared to pursue legal action against the state if the appeal is denied.
Representatives for Superior HealthPlan, a managed care organization that operates similarly to the Driscoll and Cook health plans, expressed on Thursday their disappointment in the decision to deny the protests made by the three hospital plans. The organization is also exercising its right to appeal the current decision made by the state’s health agency, as they predict it will result in the largest disruption in member care in Texas Medicaid history.
If the procurement is negated, it would be Texas HHS’s third failed attempt in six years to award contracts for the Medicaid programs that encompass the vast majority of state health insurance’s low-income Texas recipients.
___
This story was originally published by The Texas Tribune and distributed through a partnership with The Associated Press.
veryGood! (69141)
Related
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Bibles, cryptocurrency, Truth Social and gold bars: A look at Trump’s reported sources of income
- Racing Icon Scott Bloomquist Dead at 60 After Plane Crash
- Dennis Quaid talks political correctness in Hollywood: 'Warned to keep your mouth shut'
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Trans teens file lawsuit challenging New Hampshire law banning them from girls’ sports
- A woman who left a newborn in a box on the side of the road won’t be charged
- Asteroids safely fly by Earth all the time. Here’s why scientists are watching Apophis.
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Former Alabama police officer agrees to plead guilty in alleged drug planting scheme
Ranking
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Keke Palmer Shares How 17-Month-Old Son Leodis Has Completely Changed Her Life
- Tennessee family’s lawsuit says video long kept from them shows police force, not drugs, killed son
- Powerball winning numbers for August 14 drawing: Jackpot at $35 million
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- New California laws aim to reduce smash-and-grab robberies, car thefts and shoplifting
- Family agrees to settle lawsuit against officer whose police dog killed an Alabama man
- Groups opposed to gerrymandering criticize proposed language on Ohio redistricting measure
Recommendation
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Prisoner serving life for murder who escaped in North Carolina has been caught, authorities say
Family agrees to settle lawsuit against officer whose police dog killed an Alabama man
New Jersey governor’s former chief of staff to replace Menendez, but only until November election
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
'Ketamine Queen,' doctors, director: A look at the 5 charged in Matthew Perry's death
Honolulu mayor vows tougher approach on homelessness
19 Kids and Counting's Jana Duggar Marries Stephen Wissmann in Arkansas Wedding